received an Email from chebucto asking for date of birth and

Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2011 14:56:06 -0400 (AST)
From: CCN Help <ch1@chebucto.ns.ca>
To: Stephen Noel <noel@chebucto.ns.ca>
cc: help-answers@chebucto.ns.ca, office@chebucto.ns.ca

Hi Steve,

    It's a fraud!

    Chebucto would never ask you for such personal information, especially
through email.  If we required some information pertaining to your
account (and that would be a very rare occurance), we would call you and
confirm it was you we were speaking with and would identify ourselves
properly (such as introduction by the office manager) and proceed in that
manner.

    Never respond to emails such as this.  'Phishers' (the name given to
those who try to worm information out of people including birth date,
personal information, credit card and banking numbers etc) send these
emails often; posing, mostly, as webmasters or webmail maintainers who are
'updating the system' and require you to log in through a link in the
email to access your account when, in actuality, you're going to their
private site and offering your information to them.

    Chebucto would NEVER use email to confirm any personal data from you.
Also, most importantly; NEVER give your password to anyone!  Chebucto uses
an encoded password folder which even we can't view or access.  If you
ever lose or forget your password, contact the office via phone during
office hours and, after confirming your identity, we will change your
password to a temporary one (becasue we can't access the encoded folder to
retrieve your old password - that's how secure CCN's passwords are) and
once you're back in your account, you can change your password again to
whatever you wish.

    I hope this clarifies things for you.  If you ever need to talk to our
staff, or confirm anything, during office hours 1 - 5 p.m. weekdays, call
494-2449 and ask for Andrew or Johnathan.

Tony @ CCN Help