Blocking an unwanted e-mail

Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2011 16:30:03 -0300 (ADT)
From: "Andrew D. Wright" <awright@chebucto.ns.ca>
To: "Alexander E. Mackinnon" <ar688@chebucto.ns.ca>

         Hi Sandy. Well unfortunately we can't filter on individual
addresses, our mail filtering system is based on originating IP addresses.
And to make it more complicated any organization or Internet Service
Provider may have a number of outgoing mail servers so we'd have to know
the IP addresses of them all. This is why we sometimes have problems with
whitelisting legitimate mail that we accidently filter by mistake; it can
come from many sources.

         Okay, that's the bad news, now the good. You can do it yourself if
you access your Chebucto mail from a mail client you run on your computer
such as Mozilla Thunderbird, which is not only completely free to download
and use, it's available for all computer Operating Systems.

         You can get Thunderbird here:

http://www.mozillamessaging.com/en-US/

         I'll include the information you'll need to set up Thunderbird at
the end of the letter.

         Once you have Thunderbird up and running, under the Tools taskbar
item you'll see Message Filters. Click on the New button you'll see when
you click there and you can set up any rule you like for any mail you
don't care to see. You can nuke it, move it some other folder, whatever
you like.

         When you first set up Thunderbird you'll need to tell it what mail
protocol you want to use. If you choose POP3, it means your mail gets
downloaded from our server to your computer. So if you do that then try to
access Webmail from some other place than your computer, you can't see any
mail, it's been downloaded to your home computer.

         If you want to be able to access your mail from anywhere, choose
IMAP. IMAP means your computer accesses the mail which lives on our server
rather than your home computer. This means that you can read and manage
your mail using Thunderbird at home and our Webmail anyplace else. Of
course the mail filtering on Thunderbird will only be there and not when
you're getting Webmail. It's up to you.

         These are your settings:

POP3 (receive mail server): pop.chebucto.ns.ca

or

IMAP (receive mail server): imap.chebucto.ns.ca

SMTP (send mail server): smtp.chebucto.ns.ca

         We support and recommend you turn on SSL or TLS encryption. You'll
see it in the server setup.