Attachment Removal

Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2011 18:39:52 -0400 (AST)
From: CCN Help <ch1@chebucto.ns.ca>
To: Sheila McGinn <ai553@chebucto.ns.ca>
cc: help-answers@chebucto.ns.ca

Hi Sheila,

    There is a practice among hackers to send malicious instructions in
harmless documents.  Since these documents look like the real thing, CCN
protects its users by removing these suspicious attachments prior to
delivery to the user.  This is what is intercepting your files as .doc,
.docx, .xls, .xlsx and .exe files are being used by hackers to transfer
malware to users systems via email.

    I usually suggest a workaround which has worked for many users wanting
to receive files with these extensions; change the extension to a
different one.  For example; make your .docx files - .xcod files
(reversing the order of the letters in the extension).  This serves two
purposes; you can easily rename the extension to its proper version and
CCN's file scanner won't consider the new temporary extension potentially
dangerous.

CCN Help