download problems

Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2012 15:38:02 -0300 (ADT)
From: CCN Help <ch1@chebucto.ns.ca>
To: Janet Mackenzie <jimack@chebucto.ns.ca>
cc: help-answers@chebucto.ns.ca

Hi Janet,

    Unfortunately, it's a nasty world out there; which is why there is a
need for things like passwords and Content Advisor.  In this instance, it
seems your Content Advisor (CA), a child-safety program setup in Internet
Explorer by Microsoft, allows parents to restrict what their children view
on the world wide web.  They can assign a password and the kids can't turn
off the CA without knowing the password.

    In your case, it seems that CA is not allowing you to proceed further
in whatever you're viewing, without entering your password.  This password
is NOT your Chebucto password; either your PLUS password, nor your mail
password.  It might be the system password for your computer, which allows
you to use the Administrator's utilities.  If you use a password to log
into your computer, when you first switch it on; try that password.  If
you have a different password for Administrator; try that one.

    Failing that, there are 2 sequences you can use to turn off or reset
the CA password.  One is easy; but if it doesn't work; the secondone is
bit harder for a newbie, as it means you'll need the edit the 'dreaded
registry'.  For that one, you should ask someone to help you, if you're
not familiar with computer file systems and coding.

    For the first (easier) step, try this and hope it works:

    1) Start up Internet Explorer and in the dropdown menus, select:

    2) Tools -->Internet Options -->Advanced -->Content Advisor -->Disable

    If this works, you're back in business; if not, here is the harder fix,
which will definitely work:

    1) Close Internet Explorer, click on Start and choose Run.

    2) Type in RegEdit and select OK.

    3) Select H_KEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.

    4) Select Software -->Microsoft -->Windows -->Current Version -->Policies

    5) Select the Ratings folder.

    6) On the right side of the RegEdit window, you'll see an icon called
       Key.  Select it and then select Delete.

    7) Select the large X in the upper right corner to exit RegEdit.
       You've just deleted your original Content Advisor password.

    8) Restart your computer and run Internet Explorer again.

    9) Select View -->Internet Options (or Options for version 3.x).
       For IE 5 or greater, select Tools -->Internet Options.

    10) Select the Content tab and then Disable.  When asked for a
        password, leavethe box blank and select OK.  This will disable
        Content Advisor as there's no longer a password.

Good luck and hope this helps,

Tony @ CCN Help