Windows 10

Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2016 23:31:18 -0300 (ADT)
From: "Andrew D. Wright" <awright@chebucto.ns.ca>
To: Jennifer C Walden <jwalden@chebucto.ns.ca>

 	Hi Jennifer. If your computer is relatively new, I'd say go ahead
with the move to Windows 10. Most modern hardware has Windows 10 drivers
and if not, in most cases earlier Windows drivers will still work. One
important exception is modem drivers if you're still using dialup. Many
modems that work fine in Windows 7, especially hardware modems, usually
the better type of modem, will not work with Windows 10. This may
eventually get fixed or it may not.

 	If you're not planning on upgrading, Windows 7 is good until
January 2020, so odds are you'd have a new computer by then in any case.
Windows 10 is good until October 2025.

 	If you're on the fence, do the upgrade before the July 29, 2016
deadline anyway. This will lock-in your free Windows 10 upgrade. You can
always roll back to Windows 7 if there are problems and have the free
upgrade for later use. Windows 10 will sell for about $150.

 	When installing Windows 10 there are several different screens go
by. If you're concerned about privacy, when the time comes press the
smaller, less conspicuous "Customize Settings" link rather than the big
friendly "Use Express Settings" button and you can turn off a lot of the
personal data sent back to Microsoft. There's only one screen that says
this so be careful not to click things fast and blast past it by error.
These settings can be turned off manually later but it's more work finding
them all then when during the install you get the option of seeing them
all at once in one place.

 	All in all Windows 10 is a good, solid upgrade with lots
more security built-in and much lower infection rates than Windows 7. The
newer the hardware the better it runs but anything that can run Windows 7
can run Windows 10. Older peripheral devices may have issues; the only way
to find out for sure is to try them on Windows 10.

 	As upgrades go it ought to go pretty smoothly, taking about an
hour on fast computer/fast connection or several hours on slower hardware.
It is pretty straight-forward. Good luck.