Security Issue

Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2017 11:40:03 -0400 (AST)
From: "Andrew D. Wright" <awright@chebucto.ns.ca>
To: "Alexander E. Mackinnon" <ar688@chebucto.ns.ca>

         Hi Sandy. What this is is a new policy on the part of Mozilla and
Google that any login on a non-secure http web page is itself insecure
even if the login goes to a fully encrypted secure https page. You can
avoid this by going to the secure Chebucto page https://www.chebucto.ns.ca
or straight to the secure Webmail page https://webmail.chebucto.ns.ca

         If you're using the Chebucto Plus page at
http://plus.chebucto.ns.ca we don't currently have a secure version of
that page at this time but the Webmail login on it does send your login
over a secure encrypted connection.

         In a nutshell the new browser policy is intended to make people
think before entering login credentials as it isn't immediately obvious if
a login on an unsecure page goes to a secure or insecure site. In our
case, the logins are secure but that isn't true for every site every where
so their point is valid. There is also the possibility an insecure page
could be misdirected or otherwise compromised, though this is thankfully a
pretty rare event.