FW: Enquiry - Impacts of Aquaculture developments

From: NSEN <nsen@web.net>
To: 'sust-mar' <sust-mar@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 1998 14:08:13 -0400

Please reply to <nlen@nf.sympatico.ca>. Thanks. NSEN.

From: 	Kathleen Parewick[SMTP:nlen@nf.sympatico.ca]
Sent: 	Monday, March 23, 1998 12:34
Subject: 	Enquiry - Impacts of Aquaculture developments

I've received a call recently from a gentleman in St. Alban's on the
Connaigre Peninsula (South Coast of the Island) -- the region that is
synonymous with the high-profile economic development focus that the
Provincial Government here has placed on aquaculture -- one of our
"strategic" sectors. As might be expected, there are arising some
conflicts between residents and enterprise now that there are more than
a few fish-farms hastily squat up beside homes, fishing berths and the
like. The enquiry was a request for materials and contacts treating the
theme of the impacts of aquaculture development on communities. In
particular, the caller wishes to focus on Salmon and Rainbow
Trout/Steelhead farms or their equal and impacts relating to their
effluent, disease transmission, antibiotic usage, etc...

Any suggestions? I know you all have some aquaculture developments in
your province...anything to pass on? Thanks,

Kathleen Parewick, Coordinator
Newfoundland/Labrador Environmental Network (NLEN)