electionz

Date: Wed, 25 Mar 1998 10:43:12 -0400 (AST)
From: "David M. Wimberly" <ag487@chebucto.ns.ca>
To: Daniel Richard Clark <drclark@is2.dal.ca>
cc: Sustainable-Maritimes <sust-mar@chebucto.ns.ca>

While I have considered joining the Green Party, I don't see that as the
most effective way to influence the process.  Last night at the NDP
celebration at the Lord Nelson, I had a great chat with the NDP worker
who designed the legislation from Rae's Ontario NDP that stopped all new
garbage incinerators.  Now that was wonderful legislation.  Certainly no
party is going to be right all of the time and the NDP will never be
perfect.  But they have clearly been far better than any other.  I know
personally many of the people who were elected yesterday.  They are among
the leaders in helping with a series of environmental efforts.  Howard
Epstein, Darrel Dexter, Jerry Pye are new voices provincially, but
municipally they have proven their record as trustworthy in environmental
matters.  I know they plan on continuing in that.

Conversely, the national Green Party is doing a hatchet job on composting
that I find ill-informed and misguided.  A bit of a knee-jerk response
going after the wrong target.  But I agree with them on many other
issues.

Looks like our election will result in issues being fought on an issue by
issue basis on the issue itself.  So this is hopeful.

And I hope to see you, and others, there working on the issues, without
fail, from now on.

See you there.

                                   David Wimberly
                                ag487@chebucto.ns.ca
                                Halifax, Nova Scotia
                     http://www.geocities.com/RainForest/6847/

               "Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo" Virgil
                  (If heaven I cannot bend, then hell I'll stir.)