Top Polluters is US!

Date: Thu, 30 Jul 1998 21:18:23 -0700
From: John/Karen Pearce <jk.pearce@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: Owen Hertzman <hertzman@atm.dal.ca>
CC: sust-mar@chebucto.ns.ca

Reply to Owen Hertzman, by John Pearce     July 30, 1998
Several points need to be made in rebuttal to Owen's arguments. I hope
that both sides of the argument may generate a little thought by those
concerned about truly sustainable transport. Perhaps Owen Hertzman is
just playing Devil's Advocate to get some badly needed discussion going!

1. The economic costs of eliminating highway deaths is staggering. The
provincial quote of 1/4 BILLION to twin 125 miles of road is likely low
by at least a factor of two, especially considering the interchanges and
overpasses between Newport/Windsor and Coldbrook and the Avon River
causeway (which is now only 2 lanes). And this is only a small part of
one road (what about Hwy.103 to Bridgewater, and 104 east of New
Glasgow?)  The money could far better be spent on improving overall
health care services and improving air quality through lower transport
emissions to save more lives. It seems to be assumed that twinning 101
will stop the many road deaths on other routes down the Annapolis Valley.
Universally it is agreed that widening roads only encourages more cars to
travel further. Los Angeles is a prime example, and Toronto-style
commuter rail, trolley buses, and subways are now replacing freeways on
the planners' drawing boards. (would a commuter train from Sackville to
downtown Halifax not be better than a 6 lane Bedford highway, Bayers Rd.,
Young St. etc.?)
2. The road from Mt. Uniacke to Sackville is already twinned. Is that
part still "evil", and in what way?
3. Passing lanes are certainly a much cheaper solution, perhaps only a
million dollars for each one mile stretch. An (over?) elaborate example
of this exists near Ellershouse on highway 101.
4. Highway 118 out of Dartmouth is a good example of the costly type of
twinned highway we're talking about. Complete separation of traffic going
in opposite directions by grass median rather than "Jersey barrier" is
preferred due to ease of plowing, drainage, headlight glare etc. Of
course 118 is a short stretch of road in semi-urban area where traffic
volumes can justify twinning.
5. One of the important reasons we are not making progress with energy
conservation and pollution reduction is that we say nothing can be done
unless we all get together. We can't reduce N.S. highway traffic (or air
pollution from power generation etc.) because northeastern U.S. or
Ontario or Alberta aren't doing it or won't do it. Again we put the onus
on someone else. Of course it would help very much if our federal
authorities had a firm resolve and ideas to implement the Kyoto accord,
instead of more studies and postponements while playing provinces off one
against another.
6. Short haul air trips are very inefficient. Getting the airplane taxied
and off the runway and up to flight level, only to land within 30 minutes
in polluting and energy wasteful, even if aircraft (like cars) have
become somewhat more efficient over the last decade or two. The market
tells of inefficiency through the high fares that must be charged.
Another problem is that a small aircraft takes up air space almost as
much as a jumbo jet. They can't be in the same place at the same time. A
major reason for the U.S. federal government spending billions of $$ on
the 150 mph Amtrak service between Boston, Providence, New Haven and New
York (and on to Washington) due to begin with Canadian built equipment
next year, is to eliminate many short-haul flights in the busy U.S.
northeast and avoid the collosal cost of twinning Boston's Logan airport.
Next fall the U.S. federal and Maine state governments will also
inaugurate a new 4 times daily rail service from northeast New England
(Portland, Brunswick, and Rockland Maine) to Boston, for congestion and
pollution avoidance. The same needs to be done at Pearson and Dorval and
work is beginning on this.
7. Car and van pools are helpful for daily routine trips. The problem is
that they are not open to general public for random trips and in any case
are not publicized. If the province of N.S. would licence, market and
co-ordinate van services to supplement and feed (but not compete with or
replace) our potentially efficient highway bus network, we would
certainly benefit a great deal.
8. Re-laying rails is a provincial matter, as the Windsor & Hantsport Ry.
between Sackville, N.S. and Kentville is provincially regulated. But I
agree that the federal government should pay more attention to its
federal rail mandate rather than becoming involved in the provincial
jurisdiction of highways.