Humanure talk

From: "Owen,Rochelle [Dartmouth]" <Rochelle.Owen@EC.GC.CA>
To: 'Sustainable Maritimes listserv' <sust-mar@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Thu, 6 Aug 1998 12:17:52 -0300

Joseph Jenkins from Pennsylvania, author of the Humanure Handbook, will
be giving a slide presentation and talk on August 14, at DalTech
(formerly Technical University (TUNS) on Spring Garden Rd. across from
main library) in Room H19 from 7:30 - 9:00pm.

In his book he writes "Human digestive-system refuse is only waste if
it's not recycled. Otherwise it's manure, and a valuable resource and
soil amendment at that."

"The world is divided into two categories of people: those who shit in
drinking water and those who don't. We in the Western world are in the
former class. We defecate in water, usually purified drinking water.
After polluting the water with our body's digestive system byproducts,
we
flush the once pure but now polluted water away."

Jenkins' oral presentations are known for their humorous, yet
informative
and inspiring style.

For more information, contact Kim Thompson at (902) 845-2750.

_________________________________
Rochelle Owen
Community Animation Program
5th Floor, Queen Square
45 Alderney Drive
Dartmouth, N.S.
B2Y 2N6
902-426-2578 (ph)
902-426-2062 (fax)
http://www.ns.ec.gc.ca/action21/home.html

CAP Atlantic provides information, training and animation to community
groups working on issues that link human health and the environment.