WVDA named to UN Global Best Practices 100 List

From: "Janet Larkman" <jlarkman@fox.nstn.ca>
To: "Sustainable Maritimes" <Sust-Mar@chebucto.ns.ca>, "greenweb" <greenweb@fox.nstn.ca>, "Elizabeth Haggart" <econ.haggarem@gov.ns.ca>,
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 1998 13:18:55 -0300

------=_NextPart_000_0021_01BDC786.16B44560

[Annapolis and Digby Counties, Nova Scotia] - The United Nations has =
named the Western Valley Development Authority (WVDA) to the Global Best =
Practices 100 List. The List was created by the United Nations Centre =
for Human Settlement to recognize the 100 most effective initiatives in =
the world for improving living conditions.=20

Earlier this year, the United Nations Educational, Scientific and =
Cultural Organization (UNESCO) recognized part of the Western Valley as =
an international model of economic development for communities impacted =
by the collapse of the fisheries. In March, development agencies in =
British Columbia recommended that the WVDA be used as a model for =
economic development initiatives in that province.

"Our economy has traditionally been based on natural resources - =
fishing, forestry, agriculture. Those industries are still the backbone =
of our region, but more and more we need to look in new directions," =
said Brock Dickinson, Executive Director of the WVDA.  These new =
directions include a strong commitment to community-based management, =
environmental protection, the development of environmental technologies =
and industries, and the innovative use of information technologies.

The United Nations Centre for Human Settlement (UNCHS) will be promoting =
the WVDA=92s approach worldwide, through a media relations campaign, a =
series of publications and the creation of a Best Practices Database. =
"The valuable knowledge and experience WVDA have gained, therefore, will =
be shared with people from around the world," said Nicholas You, =
Coordinator of the UNCHS Best Practices and Leadership Programme.

For more information, contact Brock Dickinson at (902) 245-2412.

wvda@fox.nstn.ca
http://www.wvda.com

------=_NextPart_000_0021_01BDC786.16B44560

<HTML>
<HEAD>

http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#fff8f0>
<DIV>
<P align=3Djustify>[Annapolis and Digby Counties, Nova Scotia] - The =
United=20
Nations has named the Western Valley Development Authority (WVDA) to the =
Global=20
Best Practices 100 List. The List was created by the United Nations =
Centre for=20
Human Settlement to recognize the 100 most effective initiatives in the =
world=20
for improving living conditions. </P>
<P align=3Djustify>Earlier this year, the United Nations Educational, =
Scientific=20
and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) recognized part of the Western Valley =
as an=20
international model of economic development for communities impacted by =
the=20
collapse of the fisheries. In March, development agencies in British =
Columbia=20
recommended that the WVDA be used as a model for economic development=20
initiatives in that province.</P>
<P align=3Djustify></P>
<P align=3Djustify>&quot;Our economy has traditionally been based on =
natural=20
resources - fishing, forestry, agriculture. Those industries are still =
the=20
backbone of our region, but more and more we need to look in new=20
directions,&quot; said Brock Dickinson, Executive Director of the =
WVDA.&nbsp;=20
These new directions include a strong commitment to community-based =
management,=20
environmental protection, the development of environmental technologies =
and=20
industries, and the innovative use of information technologies.</P>
<P align=3Djustify></P>
<P align=3Djustify>The United Nations Centre for Human Settlement =
(UNCHS) will be=20
promoting the WVDA&rsquo;s approach worldwide, through a media relations =

campaign, a series of publications and the creation of a Best Practices=20
Database. &quot;The valuable knowledge and experience WVDA have gained,=20
therefore, will be shared with people from around the world,&quot; said =
Nicholas=20
You, Coordinator of the UNCHS Best Practices and Leadership =
Programme.</P>
<P align=3Djustify></P>
<P>For more information, contact Brock Dickinson at (902) =
245-2412.</P></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2><A=20
href=3D"mailto:wvda@fox.nstn.ca">wvda@fox.nstn.ca</A></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2><A=20
href=3D"http://www.wvda">http://www.wvda</A>.com</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTM=

------=_NextPart_000_0021_01BDC786.16B44560--