Cars, twinned Highways and short haul air flights

Date: Wed, 19 Aug 1998 20:25:55 -0700
From: John/Karen Pearce <jk.pearce@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: Owen Hertzman <hertzman@atm.dal.ca>
CC: Paul A Falvo <pfalvo@chebucto.ns.ca>, Sustainable Maritimes <sust-mar@chebucto.ns.ca>

Owen Hertzman wrote:

> I'd like to attempt a partial response to some of what has been said about
> my position on the 101 highway and on short haul air flights.
>
> 1)  The 101 Highway
>
> It is clear to me that there are two interlocking problems which are being
> confused here:  one is safety  the other is the way we (and others) choose
> to travel.  Regardless of the big issues (such as providing decent bus
> and/or train service to get people out of their cars) there is a current
> issue of safety.  This requires two immediate steps:  a)   some spearation
> of vehicles going in opposite directions  and  b)  some ability for cars,
> buses, trucks, trailers of different speeds to pass each other safely.
> Some of this can be accomplished cheaply by putting physical barriers
> between the different directions of traffic in the very dangerous areas.
> The second thing which can be done is to build "turn outs" such as are
> employed by Washington state.  There, it is illegal to NOT use a turn out
> when there are 5 or more cars directly behind you.  This system works very
> well and should be employed here.
> Beyond those measures, there should be a serious debate about a frequent
> subsidized and timely bus system which will enhance travel to activitios
> in the Valley for those in Halifax and vice versa.
> Take an example of the Atlantic Theatre Festival, a very worthwhile and
> excellent cultural activity.  Twice in the last month I have driven out
> there in the afternoon (with 4 and 3 people in my Honda) to have a meal
> and see a play.  This involved driving home from Wolfville after 11 pm
> both times.  This is not a pleasant experience.  If there had been bus
> service coordinated with the ATF we sould have used it...you try driving
> home after Othello!!
> If a good bus system is employed (one with reservations and buses less
> than 50 years old) then questions about which sections of the road are
> dangerous can be brought up in the context of options for those who wish
> to use the road.  Then a rail versus road debate would make sense.  The
> problem with rail in areas with distributed population is the high cost
> per trip compared to a bus.  Also buses can alter their routes as
> necessary (eg ACADIA football games, ATF, Fairs, etc. which happen
> intermittently).  Some comibination is also possible.
>
> 2)  Short Haul Air Flights
>
> In many parts of the US, and in South America, short haul air routes are
> removing cars from highways and providing quick access to the city for
> country people  (eg) Mexico, Brazil and some western states.  In some
> parts of the  US, people are actually living in one city and working a few
> days a month in another, while doing most of theit work on home computer.
> Thbe question of what distances should be done by air versus on the
> surface is certainly an issue.  I know of the commuter air network into
> Boston from parts of New England works very efficiently (I experienced the
> [...]

I think my major concern is about the tremendous cost ($5 million to as
much as $100 million per mile for urban or major bridge areas) of
highways and the alternatives such as health care, education,
environmental remediation, and much public transportation which could be
purchased as an alternative. The public seems generally unaware of how
this hits their taxes/pocketbooks. One quarter of the provincial debt in
Ontario has been found by Transport 2000 Ontario to be due to borrowing
for highway building. The subsequent interest is on general debt and
never attributed to highways.
I have little to add to earlier comments about the economic and
environmental costs of short-haul air flights.     John Pearce