NSEN Akala Point Conference

From: NSEN <nsen@web.net>
To: 'sust-mar' <sust-mar@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 1998 15:30:21 -0300

Nova Scotia Environmental Network
Halifax, 21 August

Nova Scotia's annual fall gathering of environmentally-active organizations will take place from Friday evening, 11 September, to Sunday afternoon, 13 September (the weekend after Labour Day), at Akala Point, 5kms west of Peggy's Cove.

The conference is designed to provide the best possible conditions for members and guests to meet, re-unite, confer, exchange information, and establish direct personal connections leading to coordinated action.

Working sessions focus discussion on issues and situations considered critical to protection and restoration of local environments in Nova Scotia. And on those that have greatest potential to engage public involvement. In these sessions all groups are encouraged to share information about their work, and to be alert for opportunities for joint action. This leads to resolution in our Sunday business meeting, and to follow-up action throughout the coming year.

Our goal, going into the Windhorse Farm Conference at this time last year, was to provide a framework for coordinated action among our members toward making "sustainable resource management" meaningful public policy in Nova Scotia.

This year, at Akala Point, we will reflect and celebrate some of the member actions and connections that have come about following Windhorse and the start-up of our on-going "Planning for Seven Generations" process. And we will move forward from there.

Program Outline

Opening Ceremony
"Planning for Seven Generations": strategy
Akala Point - the place, its community and our impact on the water cycle
Forests Caucus - Nova Nada, certification
Oceans Caucus - public statement, current legal initiatives
Youth Caucus - Ecotopia, Student Provincial Environmental Conference (SPEC 98)
Other action groups - health, MAI, toxics, atmosphere
Saturday night gathering, with music
Speaking Circle
Business meeting
Clean-up, follow-up

A more detailed agenda, with background information, is being prepared through consultation with our caucuses, and will be sent to participants.

While this is a working meeting for NSEN members, guests are most welcome. People working in community-based development, health, human rights and resource issues generally will find this conference useful. It will be, as much as possible, an outdoor event, with ample available rain cover. Participants have access to campsites, indoor sleeping (by request), showers, and swimming in the Atlantic.

Registration fee (including campsite, indoor sleeping if required, and all meals): $100. This fee may be reduced or waived on request. Food will be local, seasonal, organic; special diets will be accomodated. To participate, return a copy of the following registration form. If you have questions, please contact:

Don Black or Kathryn Graves, (902) 422-7110
fax: (902) 422-7117   nsen@web.net

NSEN / 1998 Annual General Meeting / Registration Form
(You can send us this by email, and your payment separately. See below.)

Your name:
Mailing address (with postal code):
Work phone:				Home phone:
Fax:					Email:

Organization name:
Mailing address: (if different than above)
Phone:					Fax:
Email:					URL:

Are you willing to car-pool to get to Akala Point?
Do you need a ride to Akala Point?
Estimated time of arrival on-site: _________________  Departure: _______________

Accomodation required: tent site ____  indoors, hostel ____  indoors, private ____
Special dietary requirements? _______________________________________________

Will anyone else be attending with you? ______________________________________

Please give a brief description of your personal interests and affiliations (and anything else you choose to say) that we could distribute to other participants.

Children are welcome; childcare is not provided.

I am mailing separately a cheque to NSEN for my (our) registration fee ($100 per person), total $_______ (Mail to NSEN, Box 33044, Halifax, N.S. B3L 4T6)

I will register & pay my fee on site _______ Please note: if you choose this option, it will be considered a commitment to attend and pay the fee. Cancellations cannot be accepted after 1 September.

I  request a reduction of conference fee ____ . I am able to pay $______

I request a waiver of the entire fee ____ .