birds and pesticdes

Date: Wed, 4 Nov 1998 15:21:19 -0400 (AST)
From: "David M. Wimberly" <ag487@chebucto.ns.ca>
To: Colin Stewart <cstewart@chebucto.ns.ca>
cc: Sharon Labchuk <slabchuk@isn.net>, sust-mar@chebucto.ns.ca

Colin, Colin, Colin,

My comments are not meant to be a criticizm of you, but of a particular
aspect of the WWF and other similar groups.

We both agree that the results of the environmental assessment was
unsatisfactory.  You maintain you limited your WWF objections to areas
that were within your area of interest as per WWF.  I maintain that the
reason that results of assessment (and most other business and government
decision-making) proves unsatisfactory is *FOR THAT VERY REASON*, meaning
that the scope of area considered is typically far too narrow, that not
enough of the true complexity of the actual, natural, complete world and
situation are fully considered.  Thus, too narrowly confined interests
results in decisions that are unsatisfactory and are thus un-sustainable
and are not uplifting to society, either.

A great deal has been written about this problem in discussion of the
failure of the large environmental groups in the US, Canada, Europe and
elsewhere to actually succeed in protecting our natural environment.

Our current strategy is failing big time!  The Worldwide Fund of Nature
recently released its Living Planet Index documenting that the Earth has
lost nearly a third of its natural wealth since 1970.

Colin, you have been a valiant defender of nature for many years with many
glorious good works to your name.  But the Sable gas assessment was an
utter disaster.  Perhaps nothing could have changed the result.  But I
often observed how government, industry and media abused the WWF stance to
"prove" that even a major environmental group could support the project,
provide it was "done right."  WWF was abused, certainly.  But a clear,
strong and consistent opposition to the entire project from the start
would have been better in the long run, I firmly believe.

Our coalition opposing natural gas use indoors was abused similarly.  Any
conciliatory gestures we made to try for good faith discussions to resolve
the issues were consistently betrayed.  The native peoples are being
betrayed today.

We have learned better.
I urge others to learn from the experience too.

				  David Wimberly
                               ag487@chebucto.ns.ca
                    http://www.geocities.com/RainForest/6847/
                       *      15 Schooner Cove Road       *
                       *    Head of St. Margaret's Bay    *
                       *   Nova Scotia  B0J 3J0  Canada   *
       "We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us.
       When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to
               use it with love and respect."   (Aldo Leopold)