wilderness press conference tuesday

From: "Kermit deGooyer" <kdegooyer@hotmail.com>
To: sust-mar@chebucto.ns.ca
Cc: nsen@web.net
Date: Sun, 06 Dec 1998 16:53:06 PST

Hi all:

The Nova Scotia Legislature passed the Wilderness Areas Protection Act
and the Endangered Species Protection Act on Thursday, just before
breaking for Xmas.  These two bills were the last things they did, but
they didn't get much press...

So... WWF, the Nova Scotia Salmon Assoc., and Ecology Action Centre are
organizing a press conference to be held at noon on Tuesday at the
Prince George Hotel in Halifax.

The idea is to get some press for these bills (particularly the
wilderness act) and some recognition for key MLAs from all three parties
who helped get these bills passed.  We are expecting some cabinet
ministers, leaders from the opposition parties and other MLAs.
Obviously a packed room would send a strong signal - we want these guys
to make a habit of saving wilderness and getting credit for it.  So
please come!!

Also, we are looking for reps from enviro-type groups or associations to
sit at a head table.  you don't have to say anything, but a good
cross-section of groups would look good too.

please let me know ASAP if your group can attend or for more info.
thanks.

Kermit deGooyer
Ecology Action Centre
429-2202/492-4340