research associate: researching the social and environmental perf

From: "Owen,Rochelle [Dartmouth]" <Rochelle.Owen@EC.GC.CA>
To: 'Sustainable Maritimes listserv' <sust-mar@chebucto.ns.ca>, 'meinhard' <mdoelle@clean.ns.ca>, acapcb@fox.nstn.ca, acapha@thezone.net,
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 1999 10:50:16 -0400

This was forwarded to me to send to people that might have an interest in
this job. Here it is: Rochelle

> Subject:  research associate: researching the social and environmental
> performance of publicly-listed Canadian companies
>

> Michael Jantzi Research Associates Inc. (MJRA) monitors and reports on
> the environmental, labour, and social performance of Canadian
> corporations.
> MJRA's Canadian Social Investment Database is used primarily by
> institutional investors that require social and environmental analysis of
> Canadian equities to manage client accounts. In addition to undertaking
> social research and analysis, MJRA serves as a consultant to help
> institutions develop and implement investment criteria that ensure a
> balance between social concerns and the investment manager's ability to
> manage a diversified portfolio.
>
> Research Associate: Responsibilities
>
> MJRA is looking for an individual to fill the full-time position of
> research associate.  Reporting to MJRA's Director, Research and Client
> Services, the associate will utilize a number of tools to research the
> social and environmental performance of publicly-listed Canadian
> companies.
>
> These tools include: an analysis of company documents; review of relevant
> Canadian daily newspapers, business press, and trade journals through
> in-house resources and on-line databases; and phone interviews with
> company executives and other stakeholders of the corporation, including
> employees,
> unions, community groups, and government regulators.  The research
> associate will also be responsible for some administrative functions,
> including answering phones, filing, and correspondence.
>
> Research Associate: Skills
>
> The candidate must possess strong research and analytical abilities,
> in addition to well developed oral and written communication skills.  A
> commitment to social and environmental issues should be combined with
> business/financial sense.  English/French bilingualism, knowledge of a
> Windows-based computer environment (Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, and
> Microsoft Access), and the completion of the Canadian Securities Course
> would be assets.
>
> Starting salary is $31,000-$35,000, depending on qualifications and
> experience.  In addition, the research associate will participate in
> MJRA's bonus plan.
>
> If this position appeals to you, please forward a copy of your C.V.
> and a sample of written work to:
>
>                                Kevin Ranney
>                                Director, Research and Client Services
>                                Michael Jantzi Research Associates Inc.
>                                372 Bay Street
>                                Suite 1906
>                                Toronto, ON
>                                M5H 2W9
>
>     Applications will be accepted until the close of business on 19
> February 1999.  No phone calls please.
>

> As we discussed, MJRA tracks the social and environmental performance of
> Canadian companies.  Currently, we are looking for a research associate
> [...]
_________________________________
Rochelle Owen
Community Animation Program
16th Floor, Queen Square
45 Alderney Drive
Dartmouth, N.S.
B2Y 2N6
902-426-2578 (ph)
902-426-2062 (fax)
http://www.ns.ec.gc.ca/ecoaction/home.html

CAP Atlantic provides information, training and animation to community
groups working on issues that link human health and the environment.