3 forwarded messages... PTW

Date: Fri, 23 Apr 1999 07:47:58 -0300 (ADT)
From: Paul A Falvo <pfalvo@chebucto.ns.ca>
To: Sustainable Maritimes <sust-mar@chebucto.ns.ca>

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 1999 21:42:55 -0300
From:	"Brian C. Bradley" <ax876@chebucto.ns.ca>
To:	Kevin Chisholm <kchishol@fox.nstn.ca>
cc:	sust-mar@chebucto.ns.ca
Subject: Re: Toxic Food Additives

Dear Kevin,
On Wed, 7 Apr 1999, Kevin Chisholm wrote:

> Dear Brian
>
> Thanks for your note on PTW...
> 1: What is the arsenic level in the berries, and how does it compare with
> permissable levels, or background levels?
Arsenic, according to one of the better known authorities on toxicology
(and as taught in all medical schools), is classified as a non-threshold
toxin which means there is a good chance of adverse health effects at any
level of exposure.  The fact that "background levels" have grown over the
decades because of the lack of information on the rates of leaching from
PTW, still does not change its classification as a "non-threshold toxin"
(refer to the text by Amdur, Mary O., Doull, John and Klaassen, Curtis D.
(1991) 'Major Toxic Metals with Multiple Effects: Arsenic' in Casarett and
Doull's TOXICOLOGY: The Basic Science of Poisons, 4th ed., Toronto:
Pergamon Press, pp. 629-633)

> 2: You didn't include your Web Site URL, so we could read your posting!! :-( Whats
> the URL for your site?

I will try and attached a list of the facts and their sources to my next
msg. My URL had to be re-modeled due to storage limitations. I'll see what
I can do to set it up again.