3 forwarded messages... a *greater* GAS OUT

Date: Tue, 11 May 1999 07:42:27 -0300 (ADT)
From: Paul A Falvo <pfalvo@chebucto.ns.ca>
To: Sustainable Maritimes <sust-mar@chebucto.ns.ca>

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sat, 8 May 1999 09:52:17 -0300
From:	"Brian C. Bradley" <ax876@chebucto.ns.ca>

In Denmark there are thousands of kilometres of cyclestiis (bicycle paths)
both in and between the cities. Not everyone can afford (physically,
mentally, financially) to use these paths, but they are there as at least
a statement for alternatives.
How many of these paths can you count in the Maritimes or anywhere else in
Canada AS A SIGNIFICANT PROPORTION OF THE ALTERNATIVE PATHS?

---------- Forwarded message ---------- Date: Sat, 8 May 1999 12:42:24
Date:	Sat, 8 May 1999 12:42:08 -0300 (ADT)
From:	Daniel Haran <ah813@chebucto.ns.ca>

On Sat, 8 May 1999, Brian C. Bradley wrote:

> In Denmark there are thousands of kilometres of cyclestiis (bicycle paths)
> both in and between the cities. Not everyone can afford (physically,
> mentally, financially) to use these paths, but they are there as at least
> a statement for alternatives.
> How many of these paths can you count in the Maritimes or anywhere else in
> Canada AS A SIGNIFICANT PROPORTION OF THE ALTERNATIVE PATHS?

(This thread seems the most promising to me. I'm getting really annoyed at
the flaming party on this list- can we have a bit of decorum, please?)

Brian, I wouldn't stop at just paths. The very way we design our human
settlements will require long-range transport for the foreseeable future.
i.e., why do we design cities for cars instead of humans? why do we
encourage sprawl instead of walkable downtowns?

We will certainly need better bike paths; I just don't want us to forget
that we should eliminate most of the need... reduce before RE-cycle :->

Peace- Daniel.