New Grant Program: COMMUNITY-BASED FORESTRY INITIATIVE

From: "Owen,Rochelle [Dartmouth]" <Rochelle.Owen@EC.GC.CA>
To: 'Sustainable Maritimes listserv' <sust-mar@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 1999 08:55:38 -0300

New Grant Program
COMMUNITY-BASED FORESTRY INITIATIVE

Funded by The Ford Foundation.
Project Managers: The Aspen Institute Rural Economic Policy Program and
The Pinchot Institute for Conservation

* This is a fund out of the US.  I wanted to know if groups in Canada can
apply.  This is the following response I received.

" Thank you for your interest in our program.  There is no reason to exclude
groups from Canada from applying.   However, we wish to emphasize that the
program is designed to address the needs and conditions of US based programs
working within the specific US policy and tenure context.  Please let us
know if you have additional questions."

Barbara Wyckoff-Baird

Given this response I would say that most groups funded would be from the US
however there might be an opportunity to partner with groups in the US say
in Maine to do a joint program and comparison.  Look at  different policies
in North American context.  Just a thought Rochelle

A Request for Proposals (RFP) has been announced by the Ford Foundation
for short-term organizational development grants for domestic
community-based forestry projects.  This is a planning component, and is the
first
phase of what will become a multi-year initiative.  Phase One is designed to
help grantees refine their strategic plan and/or project concept prior to
moving on to implementation.  Each proposal will need to address three key
aspects of the project: social, environmental and economic.  Fifteen to
twenty awards will be made, up to $40,000 each.  Proposals for Phase One are
due July 1, 1999.

The selection team is looking for a mix of applicants (including small
emerging organizations) whose proposed paths seem relevant to the larger
field of community-based forestry and who stand a reasonable chance of
succeeding at the project that they propose.

The full RFP is available on-line at http://www.aspeninstitute.org/rural/.

You may also contact the Initiative managers by e-mail at
forestry@aspeninstitute.org or phone at (202) 736-3851, or write to us at
Ford
Foundation
Community Forestry Initiative, c/o The Aspen Institute, One Dupont Circle
N.W., Suite 700, Washington DC 20036.  Please do not contact the Ford
Foundation directly.

_________________________________
Rochelle Owen
Community Animation Program
16th Floor, Queen Square
45 Alderney Drive
Dartmouth, N.S.
B2Y 2N6
902-426-2578 (ph)
902-426-2062 (fax)
http://www.ns.ec.gc.ca/ecoaction/home.html

CAP Atlantic provides information, training and animation to community
groups working on issues that link human health and the environment.