FSC in the NEWS

From: "S.Wilson/F.Moola" <fmoola@sprint.ca>
To: "bg593" <bg593@freenet.carleton.ca>, "Danielle Cantin" <dcantin@iucn.ca>, "Nature Conservation" <nature-conserv@ac.dal.ca>,
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 1999 22:28:26 -0300

This is an excellent article on the future of JD Irving's certification by
FSC.

cheers

faisal

--->>New Brunswick, Canada
>>Thursday June 24,1999
>>
>>New standards threaten J.D. Irving's 'green' status
>>By MICHAEL TUTTON - Telegraph Journal
>>

>>HALIFAX - Trouble could be brewing for J.D. Irving, Ltd.'s prized
>>status as Canada's largest supplier of environmentally certified
>>lumber.

[. . .]

>>But now Canadian organizers of the FSC are suggesting that the company
>>may have to further reduce clear-cutting and almost completely
>>eliminate use of pesticide and herbicide spraying if it wants to keep
>>using the green logo, which looks like a tree with a cloud on one
>>side, on its lumber.

[Paul interjects rudely:

DOH! I'm afraid I had to censor the rest of the article, since it is
copywritten, and I don't have permission of the owner to repost it. :(

But it's an excellent piece. To get the full text, try asking Faisal at
this address, or the Falls Brook Centre (below).

To ensure that Big Brother doesn't have to step in again, i'd encourage
people to paraphrase articles rather than reprint them in their entirety,
or post a URL where we can access the original.

You can send your flames in my direction ... :-p     ]

[. . .]