Election 99 - party survey on the environment

Date: Fri, 16 Jul 1999 20:28:15 -0300 (ADT)
From: Paul A Falvo <pfalvo@chebucto.ns.ca>
To: Sustainable Maritimes <sust-mar@chebucto.ns.ca>

1. "The Evening Affair" on CKDU 97.5 will be discussing social justice and
the Nova Scotia election next Monday (19 Jul). Give the station a call to
find out the time ... i don't know it.

2. NSEN has sent a survey to the parties to evaluate their environmental
policy. Hopefully we'll see the results here on sust-mar.

3. And, never content to leave well enough alone, and notwithstanding my
earlier suggestion (to SPOIL your ballot!) i decided to follow Dan's good
example and send the four (yes, 4) party leaders my own environmental
question (below). I'll post the answers to sust-mar in the order of
receipt.

>From what i have seen so far, ALL the parties talk the talk. They have
great-sounding words written as environmental policy. (ie, none of the
parties are pledging to harm the earth!)

Unfortunately, their other policies do just that.  NONE of the parties
translate their environmental lipservice into action. They "green-wash".

Words will not clean our air and water, nor save our forests and wildlife.
Only action will. And if the right hand is building roads, or clearcutting
forest, or failing to clean up the water ... it matters not that the left
hand is writing eloquent words about the environment.

But without further ado, below is the letter i sent the four leaders.

~paul :)

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
From: Paul A Falvo <pfalvo@chebucto.ns.ca>
To: pcparty@netcom.ca, nsndp@ns.ndp.ca, hlfxgov1.exec.premier@gov.ns.ca,
    info@nspparty.ns.ca
Subject: Election 99 - an Open Letter to NS Party Leaders

Dear Premier McLellan, Mr. Chisholm, Dr. Hamm & Mr. Friis,

I am one of the many "undecided" Nova Scotians. The tri-party leaders'
debate disappointed me greatly; not one leader mentionned the environment.

How ironic, to talk about health, without mentioning the environment that
has such an effect on our wellness.

How fiscally irresponsible to discuss the economy, without making even
passing reference to sustainable development, without which Nova Scotia
jobs will go the way of the Newfoundland cod.

Would you please let me know if the environment is an election issue for
you. If not, why not? And if so, how does your party intend to arrest the
decline of Nova Scotia's natural environment?

And, on a specific note, is your party willing to earmark 5% of your
highway budget for improvements to public transit?

Thank you in advance for taking the time to answer my questions. On July
22 I will post your replies on Sustainable Maritimes (sust-mar), an email
mailing list with approximately 100 Nova Scotia subscribers concerned
about the environment.

Sincerely,
Paul Falvo