How to organize a "Green Event"

From: "Owen,Rochelle [Dartmouth]" <Rochelle.Owen@EC.GC.CA>
To: 'Sustainable Maritimes listserv' <sust-mar@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 1999 10:47:38 -0300

Hi.  I clipped the information below on The Winnipeg Folk Festival A "Green"
Event from the Eco-Buyer Catalogue.  The Eco-Buyer Catalogue lists companies
and products that have meet the criteria for the Eco-Logo stamp of approval.
Products and services include cleaning, office supply, paper, hotels,
construction, etc.  For more information about this catalogues and the
criteria they use to rate products, etc. check out
http://www.EnvironmentalChoice.com

It would be great to see more festivals, events and meetings in Atlantic
Canada run with these principles in mind. For information on running
wasteless conference or meetings
contact Clean Nova Scotia at 1-800-665-LESS in NS outside NS call
902-420-3474.  We all can make a difference for ourselves and to educate
others but having simple things like re-usable cups at meetings and
double-siding reports, grant-proposals, a thesis, minutes,  etc. - it still
looks professional.

"WINNIPEG FOLK FESTIVAL

Contact.,	Linda Freed
Telephone:	(204) 231-0096
Fax:	(204) 231-0076
Internet:
Address:	264 Tache Avenue
	Winnipeg, MB R2H 1 Z9

http://www.wpgfolkfest.mb.ca

Set-vice. Special Event

music event for artists from around the world, for audiences averaging
30,000 people annually.

We are EcoLogo certified as the first "green" even in Canada, which verifies
that we are making efforts toward environmental management in the following
ways: sorting and composting food wastes; sorting and recycling containers;
employing reusable signage; using recycled and recyclable paper for printed
materials; using recycled toilet paper and compostable garbage bags; leaving
the site free of fitter after the event, including cigarette butts;
providing public transportation to and from the site (35 kilometres from the
city), and more. Beverages are only served in reusable cups (except in the
Tavern). Reusable plates are used by Food Court vendors, requiring a $2
deposit with food purchase. This deposit is refunded at the Plates Return
Depot.

Every year we seek new ways to be environmentally responsible, receiving
suggestions from audience, volunteers and staff, before we ascertain our
goals for the coming year."
_________________________________
Rochelle Owen
Community Animation Program
16th Floor, Queen Square
45 Alderney Drive
Dartmouth, N.S.
B2Y 2N6
902-426-2578 (ph)
902-426-2062 (fax)
http://www.ns.ec.gc.ca/community/

CAP Atlantic provides information, training and animation to community
groups working on issues that link human health and the environment.