FW: speakers for conference on community sustainability

From: Deborah Bakker <dbakker@iisd.ca>
To: "'sust-mar@chebucto.ns.ca'" <sust-mar@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 1999 15:52:01 -0500

Fyi

-----Original Message-----
From:	Michael Bauer [mailto:mibauer@vt.edu]
<mailto:[mailto:mibauer@vt.edu]>
Sent:	Wednesday, August 11, 1999 4:45 AM
To:	Scott Anderson

I am writing to ask your assistance in selecting speakers for a national
meeting on community sustainability to be held in Roanoke, VA in June of
2000.  I hope you will be able to recommend individuals who would be
effective in helping achieve the goals of the meeting.
As more and more public officials, business leaders, and nonprofit
organizations begin to recognize the need to rethink urban life, one of the
most effective ways to advance the cause of sustainability is to assist
those who are seeking to implement programs to demonstrate the viability of
sustainable methods and develop the technologies and institutions which
others might use in their communities.
Accordingly, this meeting will allow practitioners who want to learn how to
develop and implement sustainability projects to interact with those who
have experience in doing such projects.  I envision a meeting that will be
highly interactive and more like a workshop than like an academic
conference.  The target audience would be state, regional and local public
officials, business leaders, and citizen activists affiliated with nonprofit
organizations.
The speakers would be agency heads, department directors, CEOs, plant
managers, nonprofit organization leaders, and others who are close to the
actual implementation of sustainability efforts, but high enough in their
organizations to have a holistic view of the process.  Much of the meeting
time would be given to interaction among speakers, resource people, and
meeting participants so participants could find out how existing ideas and
projects might be adapted to their communities.
These discussion and workshop sessions will ask (1) what sustainability
means, (2) how it is achieved, and (3) where are some of the best examples
of projects.  We will ask these questions about each of three areas of
community life:  (a) physical development (e.g.: sprawl, infill, adaptive
reuse), (b) infrastructure design (e.g.: alternative transit, waste
management, and energy systems), and © economic structure (e.g.: waste and
pollution free production, local economic resilience).
I would deeply appreciate your suggesting individuals who could serve as
speakers and resource people in any of these nine areas.  You can do so by
using the "reply" function to return this email message to my assistant
after filling in the spaces below with the name and full contact information
for those individuals you would like to hear address any or all of these
issues. (If you prefer, a FAX or phone call to the numbers given at the end
of this message will also be welcome.)  I need your response by September 1,
1999, if possible.
If you need additional information or want to discuss the meeting, please
give me a call at (540) 231-6571 or send an email to me at <urban@vt.edu
<mailto:urban@vt.edu> >.
	Thank you very much for your assistance, Richard Rich

TOPIC				POSSIBLE SPEAKER(S)________
I.	What does sustainability mean
	in  physical development?

II.	What does sustainability mean