SOS: Press Release

From: "Irene Novaczek" <inova@isn.net>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2000 08:39:55 -0400
To: unlisted-recipients:; (no To-header on input)

****PRESS  RELEASE  -  for immediate release   9 January =
2000*********************

SAVE OUR SEAS COALITION WANTS PETROLEUM BOARD INVESTIGATED

SOS, a grassroots coalition trying to stop petroleum exploration along =
Cape Breton's Cabot Trail shoreline and in lucrative inshore fishing =
grounds in the Southern Gulf wants the Canada Nova Scotia Offshore =
Petroleum Board's power as a regulatory authority to be investigated.

Coalition member Mary Gorman says that recent events prove that "the =
CNSOPB is in a conflict of interest and is incapable of functioning =
competently as a neutral regulatory authority". Responding to a recent =
leak of the Sable gas pipeline and media reports that the CNSOPB has no =
inspectors on hand at site operations and relies solely on the petroleum =
industry to report spills, irregularities, accidents or mishaps, Gorman =
says there is now enough evidence to seriously question the credibility =
of the CNSOPB which receives over half a million dollars of its annual =
budget from the Sable gas project.

"If you look at their track record, it is our belief that the CNSOPB is =
functioning as a promotional agency for the petroleum industry, not as a =
neutral regulatory authority", says coalition member Percy Hayne. "Back =
in the fall, it was over a week before the public was informed of a =
break in the underwater pipeline; workers' safety has been seriously =
questioned subsequent to a recent death of a worker and now these recent =
leaks and blockages without inspectors on hand prove that the Petroleum =
Board's process favors the petroleum industry at the expense of not only =
public safety but in our case, the safety of our marine environment."

Save Our Seas has been concerned and complained to elected officials for =
several months about the CNSOPB's operating mandate and process that =
allows exploration bids to be approved before identifying spawning, =
nursery or other sensitive areas first and before consulting with local =
communities that rely on the inshore fishery and tourism as a renewable =
source of income. "Talking to concerned citizens AFTER approval has been =
given is not consultation," says coalition member Mary Goodwin of Mabou =
.=20

Goodwin says that local politicians "keep trying to hide behind the so =
called independent authority of the Petroleum Board. There are serious =
issues to be addressed and we're tired of the buck being passed at the =
expense of safety and of our coastal communities," she said.

Coalition member Allister Marshall of Chapel Island Band says that the =
SOS Coalition is having a petition tabled as soon as parliament resumes =
in February and that the petition asks parliament to revoke the Parcel 1 =
petroleum exploration permit and to investigate the legislative powers =
of the CNSOPB. "Hopefully, when our petition is tabled in the House of =
Commons, elected officials will then have to start assuming =
responsibility and accountability for the actions of this appointed, =
unelected board of four individuals, " says Mr. Marshall. In early =
December, the Atlantic Policy Congress of First Nation Chiefs, =
representing Mi'kmaq, Maliseet and Passamaquoddy Chiefs from Nova =
Scotia, New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island and Newfoundland unanimously =
passed a motion to stop petroleum exploration in sensitive areas along =
the Cabot Trail shoreline (NS98-2Parcel 1).=20

For further information, contact:

Mary Gorman             Allister Marshall

(902)926-2128                 (902)535-2426

Percy Hayne                 Mary Goodwin

(902)926-2229                 (902)945-2205

=20

PEI contact:   Dr Irene Novaczek
RR #4 Breadalbane PEI
Canada C0A 1E0