Genetic engineering - ANNOUNCING -- BIODEVASTATION 2000:

Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2000 12:27:45 -0500
From: meredith flannery <meredith.flannery@dbis.ns.ca>
To: sust-mar@chebucto.ns.ca

> ANNOUNCING -- BIODEVASTATION 2000:
> The 4th International Grassroots Gathering on Genetic Engineering:
> Resistance and Solutions to the Corporate Monopoly on Power, Food and
Life

> Boston, March 24-30, 2000
> Teach-in / Rally and Parade / Nonviolent Direct Actions

> ****   Join activists, scientists, farmers, and people from around
> ****     the world for a week of education, strategy and empowerment.
> ****
> ****   Help build a visible and unified movement against
> ****     genetic engineering and protest BIO 2000, the largest-ever
> ****     convention of the Biotechnology Industry Organization.
> ****
>
> MARCH 24-25 - Teach-in / Counter-conference: Explore the effects of
genetic
> engineering on our health, the environment, farms and society, help
create
> community-centered solutions, learn and develop organizing and action
skills
> and more.
>
> Panel and workshop topics will include:
>
> * Damaging health effects of genetically engineered foods
> * Adverse environmental impacts of genetic engineering
> * Demystifying human genetics and medical biotechnology
> * Seeds, family farms and the future of organic food
> * Biotechnology and corporate globalism
> * Biopiracy and patents on life
> * Dumping of engineered foods in the "third world" and inner city
communities
> * Corporate and government agendas for biotechnology
> * Resisting corporate control over our food and health
> * Corporate campaigns, popular education and direct action strategies
>
> Featured speakers include Vandana Shiva (RFSTE, India), José Bové
> (Confédération Paysanne, France, tentative), Ruth Hubbard (Harvard
> University, tentative), Hope Shand (RAFI), Steve Wilson and Jane Akre
> (formerly of Fox TV), Jonathan King (MIT), Brian Tokar (Institute for
Social
> Ecology), Beth Burrows (Edmonds Institute), Charles Margulis (Greenpeace
> USA), Martin Shaw (GenetiX Snowball, UK), Jim Thomas (Greenpeace UK),
C.R.
> Lawn (Fedco Seeds), Martha Crouch (former plant molecular biologist),
Stuart
> Newman (Council for Responsible Genetics), Orin Langelle (ACERCA) and
> numerous artists and performers, including members of the Bread and
Puppet
> Theater, and the band Seize the Day from London.
>
> This is the fourth in a series of international grassroots gatherings,
which
> began in St. Louis in July 1998, and continued with events in New Delhi
> (March 1999) and Seattle (May 1999).  The conference is organized by
> Northeast Resistance Against Genetic Engineering, People's Earth Network
> and the Institute for Social Ecology, and co-sponsored by the Council for
> Responsible Genetics, Greenpeace USA, Native Forest Network, Edmonds
> Institute, ACERCA (Action for Community and Ecology in the Rainforests of
> Central America) and many others.
>
> MARCH 26 - Public Rally, Parade and Street Theater:  A festival of
> resistance against genetic engineering and the BIO convention.
>
> MARCH 27-30 - Continuing Actions*:  A wide variety of nonviolent actions
and
> festivities will be occurring throughout the week to resist the
> Biotechnology Industry Organization convention.
>
> For more information, please contact:
>
> Northeast Resistance Against Genetic Engineering
> (802) 454-9957, nerage@sover.net
>
> People's Earth Network
> (617) 524-7841, biod2000@jamaicaplain.com
>

> * For more information on coordinated direct actions throughout the week,
> contact: bio4actions@yahoo.com

The preceding message was posted on Sustainable Maritimes (sust-mar)

DOES SUST-MAR KNOW? Not unless you tell us ...

To submit a message about the environment/sustainability in the Maritimes,
just send it to <sust-mar@chebucto.ns.ca>

Messages are prioritised and queued, so please be patient if your message
doesn't appear right away.