Student Forum - Ecosystem Health and Our Future: A Student Workshop

From: "EnviroSociety SaintMary'sUniversity" <studentecosummit@hotmail.com>
To: sust-mar@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 17:24:36 ADT

------=_NextPart_000_23b255fc_306e452a$68fbf764

Dear Sustainable Maritimes could you Please post the following attachment.

Thanks,
Annabelle
Student Forum Organizer

Date: Friday, June 16 / 2000.
Time: 1- 5pm followed by a BBQ at Point Pleasant Park and then a "Tour of
Halifax at Night."
Location: Halifax NS, Saint Mary's University: Loyola Private Dining Room
Speakers: William S. Fyfe, Professor Emeritus, Department of Earth Sciences,
University of Western Ontario, London, ON. CA
Maureen MacDonald, New Democratic Party MLA for Halifax Needham, NS
Steve Seely, environmental stockbroker
(speakers yet to confirm: public health expert and ecologist)

One of the objectives behind the Ecosystem Health concept is "to encourage
understanding of
the critical links between human activity, ecological change and human
health" (Rapport et al. 1996).
Our beliefs, habits, and behaviour directly impact our environment.
Over-consumption and poverty
are two such issues which need to be addressed on an individual and a
societal level to create
the necessary links between these social problems and their environmental
impacts. Unless we as
individuals recognize our dependence on nature, and the impacts which our
economic decisions are
having, we can not appreciate the changes which must be made personally and
collectively, to
support ecosystem health.
	The pre-summit workshop, Ecosystem Health and Our Future will be an
opportunity for
students to become more familiar with the importance of Ecosystem Health and
to discuss issues
linked to the topics which affect us directly. What do students view as the
priority concerns for
a healthy planet? What can we do to encourage environmental awareness, (an
appreciation of our
dependence on nature and the implications of our current actions) and to
change the views and
behavior of the "average citizen"? We are the future generation of society,
where do we start
to improve our societal and ecological future? Join us as we attempt to
answer these questions
and more.
	A panel of guest speakers will help us to better understand the issues and
facilitate our
discussions. This one-day workshop will result in student recommendation to
be presented at the
official Eco Summit 2000. It will also offer an informal opportunity for
local and international
students to meet before continuing on to the Eco Summit. After our work is
done join us for a
harbour-side barbecue at beautiful Point Pleasant Park, just moments away
from the Saint Mary's
Campus. Once we are fed, we can send the rest of the evening touring a few
of Halifax's best
entertainment venues as a relaxing way to top of the day!
	Admission is free, but seating is limited. RSVP your space by
pre-registering or to find
out more information contact us at:
Saint Mary's University Environmental Society at
studentecosummit@hotmail.com
Visit our Website at http://axe.acadiau.ca/~030521s/eco
Sponsored by the Saint Mary's University International Activities Centre,
the International Society for Ecosystem Health and Acadia University.

------=_NextPart_000_23b255fc_306e452a$68fbf764--

Sponsors: Chebucto Community Net   	http://www.chebucto.ns.ca
Sierra Club - Chebucto Group		http://www.sierraclub.ca
Volunteer moderator: Paul Falvo  mailto:sust-mar-owner@chebucto.ns.ca

PLEASE SEND MESSAGES TO SUST-MAR IN PLAIN TEXT ONLY
MESSAGES CONTAINING HTML (MIME) CANNOT BE POSTED