AAG 2001 Urban Health Session(s) (fwd)

To: sust-mar@chebucto.ns.ca
From: Anna McCarron <amcarron@istar.ca>
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2000 08:31:48 -0400

>X-From_: ip-fsc-mml-owner@chebucto.ns.ca Tue Aug 01 09:28:21 2000
>Date:	Tue, 01 Aug 2000 10:27:42 -0500
>From:	Iain Taylor <mapman@hfx.andara.com>
>To:	ip-fsc@chebucto.ns.ca
>Subject: Re: AAG 2001 Urban Health Session(s) (fwd)
>
>Thought those with Sidney and CB interests might be interested to know of this
>session and activities of these geographers.
>
>Regards
>
>Iain Taylor
>FPPP
>
>(my first post to the network!)
>
>Thomas Herman wrote:
>
>> Special Sessions in Urban Health
>> Annual Meetings of the AAG, 2001
>> New York, NY,  Feb. 27 - March 3, 2001.
>>
>> Urban health is a topic of considerable academic and policy concern in North
>> America today, driven by a myriad of factors.  These include the legacy of
>> environmental toxicity left over from the modern industrial era, urban
>> sprawl, land use conflicts, the aging of public health and sanitary
>> infrastructure, the proliferation of new infectious diseases and superbugs.
>> Additionally, economic shifts of the late 80s and 90s that are believed to
>> have caused increasing social polarization and segregation are receiving a
>> great deal of attention in health research, as the large number of studies
>> investigating neighborhood-level SES, residential segregation, and
>> metropolitan income inequality and health can attest.  Additionally, urban
>> health research has also a long history of work on the causes and
>> consequences of mental illnesses, homelessness and health, and health
>> services access and utilization in the urban environment.  In short, urban
>> health is a topic of serious concern on the health research agenda.  A
>> signpost of this is further exemplified by the recent renaming of the
>> Bulletin of the New York Academy of Medicine as the Journal of Urban Health.
>>
>> We invite you to submit an abstract on 'urban health' (broadly defined) to
>> an organized paper session at the 2001 and AAG in New York.  Any topic of
>> research within the broad heading of 'urban health' is welcome.  Research
>> may be empirical, conceptual, or a review.  The paper presentation sessions
>> will include guest discussants from the health research community.  As such,
>> we will be requiring submission of a full paper in advance of the
>> conference.
>>
>> If you are interested in participating in these sessions, please notify Jim
>> Dunn (jdunn@chspr.ubc.ca), of the Department of Geography at the University
>> of British Columbia, of your intentions.  Abstracts, along with all
>> conference registration materials, including your registration fee, will be
>> due on August 15th, 2000.  Full papers will be due to the guest discussants
>> by Jan. 15th, 2001.
>>
>> Please pass this message on to any colleagues you think may be interested.
>>
>> Many thanks,
>>
>> Jim Dunn
>> Department of  Geography and
> [...]

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
The preceding message was posted on Sustainable Maritimes (sust-mar)
-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

A word from our technicians ...

Many subscribers have limited space for incoming email. Please remember to
limit the SIZE of your message. Messages longer than 10K cannot be posted.

CCN users cannot read messages written in html, or with other bells and
whistles. Please send messages to sust-mar in basic TEXT format.

Finally, please respect the privacy of others. Sust-mar messages are seen
by a lot of people and are accessible in our archives to anyone in the
world. Therefore, if you are forwarding a message that was sent to you,
please delete the names of other recipients before forwarding to sust-mar.

Similarly, if your message is going to other places, please send sust-mar
a separate copy. Our 200+ readers are worth the extra seconds it takes! :)