Ship Harbour Long Lake

Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2000 03:38:12 -0700 (PDT)
From: "=?iso-8859-1?q?Mark=20A.=20Brennan?=" <marluse97@yahoo.com>
To: sust-mar@chebucto.ns.ca

> There's a bit of a environmental storm brewing about
a place called Ship
> Harbour Long Lake on the Eastern Shore, local
groups/naturalists have
> called for its protection. However cutting in the
area is going on right
> now and the Department of Environment are expected
to make a decision
> soon to put into affect an assessment of the area.
What the
> locals/naturalists need right now is support from
everyone they can get
> it. For more info to look at this place you can
visit>
> http://www.supercity.ns.ca/~land/ship_hbr.html>
> its an amazing area with over 50 lakes and old
growth forest,>
> Please "sign", copy and send the following letter
(or something similar)
> to the Premier, IT WILL TAKE JUST ONE MINUTE OF YOUR
TIME>
> The letter asks for a development moratorium and
Wilderness designation
> for the proposed Wilderness Area.  Recent trips into
the site have
> confirmed ongoing road construction and
clearcutting, including a road
> recently extended along the west side of Ship
Harbour Long Lake into one
> of the site's largest roadless and old forest
areas.> > Thanks
--------------------------------->
> PLEASE MAIL TO: premier@gov.ns.ca> > Hon. John Hamm>
Premier of Nova Scotia
premier@gov.ns.ca> fax: 424-7648>
> Dear Dr. Hamm:>
> I support designating the proposed Ship Harbour Long
Lake Wilderness> Area
> under the Wilderness Areas Protection Act.  The site
consists of roughly
> 17,000 hectares of public land on the Eastern Shore.
 It includes over> fifty
> undeveloped lakes, most of the Fish River system,
several pockets of old
> forest and many traditional outdoor recreation
destinations.  The entire
> site is publicly owned.>
> These lands need protection to prevent them from
being clearcut and> carved
> up by hauling roads like so many other public
forests on the Eastern> Shore.>
> The proposed Wilderness Area is currently being
clearcut as part of a
> logging lease signed in 1965.  I understand that the
Province is> allowing
> new logging roads to be pushed into remaining
roadless areas within the
> proposed Wilderness Area.  I consider the 1965 lease
to be outdated,
> particularly as the Province committed to protecting
more land in the
> interior of the Eastern Shore in 1992.  I call on
the Province to> institute
> a development moratorium – no more cutting, no more
roads - within the
> proposed protected site to allow for a proper
protected area evaluation> and
> eventual legal protection.>
> I look forward to your response.  Please forward
this letter to Hon.> Ernie
> Fage, Minister of Natural Resources, Hon. Michael
Baker, Acting Minister> of
> the Environment, and Hon. Rodney MacDonald, Minister
of Tourism, for> their
> consideration and response also.> > Thank you.> >
Sincerely,>
> [your name and mailing address]>

Sponsors: Chebucto Community Net   	http://www.chebucto.ns.ca
Sierra Club - Chebucto Group		http://www.sierraclub.ca
Volunteer moderator: Paul Falvo  mailto:sust-mar-owner@chebucto.ns.ca

To submit a message to sust-mar, please send it to:
mailto:sust-mar@chebucto.ns.ca

PLEASE SEND MESSAGES TO SUST-MAR IN PLAIN TEXT ONLY
MESSAGES CONTAINING HTML (MIME) CANNOT BE POSTED