[Fwd: Re: Municipal Election] (fwd)

Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2000 06:33:13 -0300 (ADT)
From: Paul A Falvo <pfalvo@chebucto.ns.ca>
To: Sustainable Maritimes <sust-mar@chebucto.ns.ca>

The race is on ... for Halifax City Council. Dawn Sloane is running
against Graham Downey and others in District 12 (Halifax Downtown). Below
are her answers to several questions. I encourage sust-mar subscribers to
ask questions to candidates and post the results.

~paul :)

      Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2000 10:33:27 -0300
      From: dmsloane@ns.sympatico.ca (dawnmarie sloane)

> Hi Larry,

Thank you for pointing out your various concerns.  I hope that my
answers satisfactory.  I would like to meet with you to discuss your
views on these issues also.  Here are a  brief answers to your
questions.

> 1. Transit, transport issues in HRM
> Transit in the pennisula is a growing concern for which needs immedate
> addressing.  I have supported the communter train idea from the
> beginning and believe that it would resolve the heavy influx of
> traffic, parking and accidents during the peak times of traffic.  I
> believe that HRM needs to stop dragging their heels on the topic.

> The Mayor has said that the train option is too expensive to invest
> in, I think that a "High" Speed Ferry system" from Bedford would just
> displace the problem to Bedford.

> The bus service in the HRM must be upgraded to serve the business
> parks more effectively also.  The service to the parks must be
> improved so that it would be more effective for the riders.  This
> could be accomplished by adding more routes from the outling area, and
> the pennisula., scheduled buses should be extended past 6:00pm  to
> 7:00pm for the clients that work late or have odd houred shifts.

> 2. Environment, Environmental health issues

I will address the Environmental issue first.  The preservation of our
natural resources is a very important.  We must preserve the parks and
recreations areas (ei. Point Pleasant Park, Commons, Public Gardens)
The long horned beetle issue could have been dealt with in a more
"environmentally conscience" solution.
Halifax is known for its viable recreational areas such as the Commons.
One issue I would like to have addressed is the replacement of the chain
link fence surrounding the fountain.  A more aesthetically pleasing
wrought iron fence would assure the safety of children, pets and
residents.
The dumping of solid waste in our district is an on-going concern also.
Businesses have to pay to have their refuse removed, and many small
businesses cannot or will not pay for the removal.  This concerns me.
Many businesses are dumping scrap metal and plastic in the vacant lots
in our area. I propose that HRM put out an award (monetary or gift
certificates to downtown businesses) for residents that report such
dumping.

Another concern is the poor air quality of buildings.  I used to work in
a "sick  building" and I know the effects that mold can have on a
person. The city must increase its building by-laws to include air
quality.  Schools and civic building such as the libraries within the
HRM should be tested before a problem occurs (an example would be
Halifax West High School).  Many of the older structures in our district
should be tested.

> 3. Public policy re: delivery of municipal services (ie, should they
> be
> public or private,)

Public Services should be Public.  The privatization of municipal
services leads to too much red tape and the blame for poor quality
service.  A perfect example is the the garbage.  The down scaling of
municipal employees leads to unemployment and poor service to the
residents of HRM.  We have to protect the employees and hire more staff
not managers.  (To many chiefs and not enough indians syndrome)

> 4. City Council: decision making processes (role of staff,
> accountability,
> etc)

The City Council decision making process can be a long and drawn out
process.  With the re-establishment and the inclusion of our area to the
Community Councils, it may bring a change in the way certain issues are
resolved.
Accountability by all Councillors is mandatory.  If a person wins an
election, he or she must represent the residents of the district.  The
councillor must attend council , community council, and local issue
meetings (whether or not a honorarium is offered to the person).
Honorariums should be discouraged.  It is your job to represent you
district for your residents.

> 5. Education

This is an issue that must be addressed quickly.  The standard of our
education must be upgraded.  The teachers are dealing with larger
classes, with less resources and are becoming frustrated.  The city
needs to invest in our children's future as they will be the ones that
have deal with the decisions made by HRM in the future.  I propose that
the HRM allot more funds to the classroom not the school board.  Old
computers from the HRM must be donated to the inner city schools so that
the children have a good base in technology as this is the wave of the
future.  Perhaps a tax break as an incentive to the businesses that
donate the necessary items required for the teachers to teach.