IRM: Sign-on to scientists' statement

Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2000 10:13:34 -0300 (ADT)
From: Heather Breeze <aa670@chebucto.ns.ca>
To: sust-mar@chebucto.ns.ca

Nova Scotia's Department of Natural Resources has created a plan that
would put all crown lands in one of three categories.  As you may have
heard in the many media reports, the process and the plan itself have been
terrible, with very little to no lands being classified as C3
(protected areas) and a very very poor public consultation process.

If you consider yourself a scientist, please sign on to this statement
(see forwarded e-mail below).  Karen Beazley is the contact for this
statement.
If you don't consider yourself a scientist, please call your local MLA,
the Minister of DNR (Ernie Fage), write letters to the editor and
otherwise kick up a fuss about this!  DNR's plan can be found at:
http://www.supercity.ns.ca/~land/irmplan.htm
and I think there are contact names/addresses/phone numbers for the people
in charge there too.

Heather

>From: "Karen Beazley" <Karen.Beazley@dal.ca>
>Subject: IRM: Sign-on to scientists' statement
>Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2000 15:05:15 -0400
>

>September 19, 2000
>Dear Colleague,
>
>Re: Letter from the scientists regarding Nova Scotia Department
>of Natural Resources' (DNR) Integrated Resource Management plan
>
>To sign-on, please send a return e-mail message to Karen Beazley at
><karen.beazley@dal.ca>
>indicating your name, degree/ title, and address
>or affiliation.
>
>Attached please find documents related to the Nova Scotia Department
>of Natural Resources' (DNR) Integrated Resource Management (IRM)
>plan.  The first is a proposed statement of concern from Nova
>Scotia's scientific community. This statement will be forwarded to
>Premier John Hamm and other government officials when we have
>collected the names of those willing to sign-on. We would like to
>offer you, as a scientist, this opportunity to sign on  (name, title,
>mailing address). The second section is a background piece outlining
>the political and ecological context of the IRM plan.
>
>This document is being circulated to several listservers, all of
>which contatin members who are not scientists. We are asking that you
>utilize your own discretion in deciding whether you are a scientist
>or not. We also ask that you forward this message to other scientists
>or other listservers, so that the message gets spread to as much of
>Nova Scotia's scientific community as possible.
>
>To sign-on, please send a return e-mail message to Karen Beazley at
>karen.beazley@dal.ca
>indicating your name, degree/ title, and address or affiliation.
>
>We also encourage you to send a letter of your own to Premier John Hamm
>expressing your views.
>
>As you may know, the IRM plan will dictate
>long-term management objectives and activity on over one million
>hectares of Crown land. This is an important process!
>
>Thank you for your attention to this matter.  Please respond ASAP.
>
>Sincerely,
>
>Karen Beazley, Ph.D.
>
>Martin Willison, Ph.D.
>-------
>
>The Honourable John Hamm
>Premier of Nova Scotia
>PO Box 726
>1700 Granville St.
>Halifax, NS B3J 2T3
>
>Re: Statement of concern from scientists on biodiversity protection and
>Nova Scotia Department of Natural Resources' (DNR) Integrated
>Resource Management (IRM) process
>
>Dear Hon.,  Dr. Hamm:
>
>WHEREAS preserving earth's biodiversity, upon which the future of
>humankind and all life on the planet rests, will be humanity's greatest
>challenge of the 21st century;
>
>WHEREAS the Nova Scotia government has not yet lived up fully to various
>political and legal commitments to protect biodiversity;
>
>WHEREAS wild areas protected from development prevent the loss,
> [...]

The preceding message was posted on Sustainable Maritimes (sust-mar)

Voila! Daily messages will stop, and twice-monthly will start.