Halifax Water Watchers.

From: dannyc@ns.sympatico.ca (Danny Cavanagh)
To: <sust-mar@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2000 07:53:05 -0300

Please circulate! We need to raise the issues and win the battle!
We need your help so please attend!

The Canadian Union of Public Employees will be holding an information
session in front of city hall this Tuesday from 5 to 6pm on the harbor
solutions project. We have been holding these weekly events to show council
that the privatization of this project will cost more and is just not the
right type of treatment that is needed. Environment concerns are at best
only meeting minimum standards.

We are asking you to please help us build these sessions by attending this
weeks session even if it's only for 15 or 20 minutes. Lets show council we
mean business this Tuesday, its only for an hour and can have a huge impact.

The water watch committee will be meeting at 7pm on October 11th and 25th at
the Halifax Civic workers club at 2785 Isleville Street
Halifax. Everyone is invited to attend this also. Below is a link to our web
site where you can view issues on water that we have been raising all over.
http://www.cupe.ca/issues/privatization/showitem.asp?id=1333

Soon the CUPE web site will have a link where you can send a message either
pre formatted or your own words directly to HRM council members with one
click of the mouse button. Hopefully by Friday it will be up and going.
Please check back to the site and when it's going send the HRM council
members a message.

We are asking environmental groups, concerned residents, other unions or
anyone who is interested in water issues to attend the water watch meetings
on Oct 11th & 25th. These private corporations want to get their foot in the
door in Halifax with wastewater treatment and will eventually want to take
over the water and we need to be ready to fight and stop any takeovers.

We are also trying to get the local residents in the HRM together to start
and spread the word in the communities so if any of you know an interested
resident or group of them please forward their name and phone to me at
dannyc@ns.sympatico.ca
Please e-mail me if you need more information have questions or are
concerned.

MAYORS DEBATE:
Mayoral candidates Walter Fitzgerald, Peter Kelly, Ken Ozmon and Aaron
Peters have been invited to talk about issues on Shaw TV who is hosting a
live, one-hour debate this Sunday, involving all four candidates for mayor,
which will be televised on Channel 10 at 7 p.m. The four men will again face
off at a forum hosted by the Downtown Halifax Business Commission, Oct. 16
at 7 p.m. at the Westin Nova Scotian Hotel. Admission is free.
Maude Barlow in Halifax
Maude will be speaking on water issues at the Holiday Inn Harbourview
(Dartmouth by the bridge) on October 10th at 7pm. Maude is a renowned
speaker on water issues and has spoken all over the world. Please tell your
neighbours, relatives and friends about all these events.
Please tune in or attend these important events to raise issues and ask
questions on the harbour issues, mainly to ask them to keep waste water a
publicly owned and operated utility.

In Solidarity
Danny Cavanagh
Water Watch Campagin
Canadian Union of
Public Employees
7071 Bayers Road
Suite 308
B3L - 2C2
Phone 902 - 455 4180
Fax 902 455-5915
dannyc@ns.sympatico.ca

The preceding message was posted on Sustainable Maritimes (sust-mar)

Looking for an old message? You'll find it in the sust-mar ARCHIVES ...
http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/lists/sust-mar