Wood and Staples

Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2000 15:49:05 -0300 (ADT)
From: Martin Willison <willison@is.dal.ca>
To: sust-mar@chebucto.ns.ca

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 06 Oct 2000 13:52:32 -0300
From: Falls Brook Centre - Jean Arnold <fbcja@web.ca>
Subject: Staples

NOVEMBER 15, 2000
DAY OF ACTION ON THE OFFICE SUPPLY INDUSTRY, VISIT A STAPLE'S STORE
NEAR YOU!

Tell Staples that paper from destroyed forests is not acceptable!
Forests around the globe are being destroyed all to be sold by big
corporations like Staples!

Join the Coastal Rainforest Coalition, the Dogwood Alliance, Free the
Planet, the National Forest Protection Alliance, Student Environmental
Action Coalition, Rainforest Action Network, American Lands, Earth First,
and others on November 15, 2000, for the launch of the office supply
campaign targeting Staples.

Coming after the recent successes in moving the do-it-yourself and
home building industries campaigns that forced companies to adopt
forest friendly purchasing policies, we now want to target the office
supply industry for their egregious use of our endangered forests for
paper and throw away supplies.

Paper is clearly one of worst uses of our forests, and the industry
must shift to all recycled and tree-free fibers immediately!  As the
nation's largest office supply store, Staples needs to hear from the
public that it is no longer acceptable to sell products made from
destroyed forests.

Help us defend forests and the local communities that depend on
forests worldwide. US corporations such as Staples, have been getting
away with marketing forest destruction and the human rights abuses
that go along with it long enough.

Please join us in a Day of Action against the Office Supply
Industry.  Activists are encouraged to hold demonstrations at
Staples stores, engage in civil disobedience, host a call-in or fax-
in day, set up a letter writing tables, and alert the media.

It is critical that we send a strong message to the office supply
industry. They need to hear that destroying forests around the world
for scrap paper is completely unacceptable. Start planning now.. Let
us know what you are planning to do and we will send you an action
pack.

Please contact Liz Butler, Coastal Rainforest Coalition,
liz@coastalrainforest.org, 206.781.1107. To sign up for a listserv
that will keep you up to date on the campaign send an email to
endangered-forests-subscribe@egroups.com

Liz Butler
National Organizer, Coastal Rainforest Coalition
206-781-1107 work, 202-285-6758 cell
liz@coastalrainforest.org, 509-471-6884 fax
5215 Ballard ave. NW Seattle, WA 98107

FALLS BROOK CENTRE
125 South Knowlesville Road
Knowlesville, New Brunswick
Canada E7L 1B1
Tel: 506 375 8143
Fax: 506 375 4221
email: fbcja@web.ca
http://www.web.ca/~fbcja

Sponsors: Chebucto Community Net http://www.chebucto.ns.ca
Sierra Club - Chebucto Group	 http://www.sierraclub.ca/eastern/chebucto
Volunteer moderator: Paul Falvo  mailto:sust-mar-owner@chebucto.ns.ca

To submit a message to sust-mar, please send it to:
mailto:sust-mar@chebucto.ns.ca

PLEASE SEND MESSAGES TO SUST-MAR IN PLAIN TEXT ONLY
MESSAGES CONTAINING HTML (MIME) CANNOT BE POSTED