greenelection.org

From: "cyndi gilbert" <cyndigilbert@hotmail.com>
To: sust-mar@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Thu, 02 Nov 2000 09:46:45 EST

CANADIAN ENVIRONMENTAL ORGANIZATIONS
LAUNCH "GREENELECTION.ORG" PLATFORM

HALIFAX, OTTAWA, VANCOUVER and TORONTO - Wednesday morning, a coalition of
Canadian environmental and conservation organizations launched
"GREENELECTION.ORG."
	More than 25 environmental and conservation organizations are taking part
in GREENELECTION.ORG.  Their platform, available on the campaign's web site,
www.greenelection.org, outlines key environmental issues facing Canadians
today, and what all political parties should do to address them.  It will
serve as a non-partisan measuring stick to evaluate how "green" the parties
and candidates are.
	"Canadians care deeply about the environment," said Cyndi Gilbert, Halifax
Canvass Director of the Sierra Club of Canada.  "In the lead-up to an
election, and at all times, it is imperative that we make the environment a
critical issue to secure the quality of the air we breathe, the water we
drink, the food we eat, and the integrity of our forests, oceans, and
wetlands."
	"In order to secure a healthy environment, a future government must make an
economic investment to protect natural spaces and species at risk, to
preserve them and make them available to the public," said Heather Drope,
President of the Nova Scotia Wild Flora Society.
        The GREENELECTION.ORG platform identifies opportunities to benefit
both the environment and the economy through the market, by implementing
ecological tax reform (revenue-neutral pollution taxes), emissions trading
systems, and the removal of environmentally perverse subsidies to the
nuclear energy, petroleum and coal industries.  It also calls for a
strategic reinvestment in key areas, including renewable energy technologies
and new parks and marine conservation areas.  Finally, the platform calls
for key policy changes, such as meeting Canada's international obligation to
protect species at risk and their habitats, and to amend the Pest Control
Products Act.
	"The voices from the medical community calling for a moratorium on the
cosmetic use of pesticides should have been heeded already," said Helen
Jones, Member of the Pesticide By-Law Advisory Committee for Halifax
Regional Municipality.  "We must ask where the priorities of prospective
candidates and parties stand: in protecting the health of Canadian children,
or that of industry."

For more information, please visit our web page at www.greenelection.org, or
contact:
· Cyndi Gilbert, Halifax Canvass Director, Sierra Club of Canada, (902)
420-6593  cyndigilbert@hotmail.com

The preceding message was posted on Sustainable Maritimes (sust-mar)

Looking for an old message? You'll find it in the sust-mar ARCHIVES ...
http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/lists/sust-mar