Fw: URGENT sign on... industrial hog factory...

From: "Roger Davies" <daisies@chebucto.ns.ca>
To: "Sustainable Maritimes" <sust-mar@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2000 07:27:03 -0300

----- Original Message -----
From: <dbelliv@nb.sympatico.ca>
To: <unlisted-recipients:; (no To-header on input)>
Sent: Monday, October 16, 2000 11:58 PM
Subject: URGENT sign on... industrial hog factory...

(ignore if cross-posted)

Dear friends, we (in New Brunswick) have drafted the following urgent
statement. If
your organization, group  or yourself would like to sign this statement,
please
respond as soon as possible. To sign on please send an email message to
inbox@mondata.com or fax to 506-775-9369. Please indicate your name,
degree/title,
and address or affiliation. Feel free to circulate.

The Honourable Bernard Lord
Premier Province of New Brunswick
PO Box 6000
FREDERICTON NB  E3B 5H1

Dear Honourable Bernard Lord:

We, the undersigned, are voicing our support to the citizens of
Sainte-Marie-de-Kent
and Kent County, New Brunswick. We share citizens' concerns about the known
effects
of hog factories on the quality of air, the quality of surface and ground
water, and
quality of life for themselves and their children.

WHEREAS, the Livestock Operations License granted to Metz Farms 2 Ltd., 3
August 1999
contained conditions requiring the submission of information to the Province
of New
Brunswick;

WHEREAS, we believe critical environmental information has been withheld
from public
scrutiny;

WHEREAS, a Certificate of Compliance by a Certified Engineer for the lagoon
has not
been released;

WHEREAS, initial and quarterly results from the monitoring wells around the
lagoon
have not been released;

WHEREAS, the water consumption reports have not been released;

WHEREAS, there have been no reports released indicating that the limit of
10,000 hogs
on the site has been respected;

WHEREAS, the surface and ground water plan prepared by a hydrologist has not
been
released;

WHEREAS, the contingency plan in the event of an environmental incident has
not been
released;

BE IT RESOLVED THAT

We, the undersigned, call upon the Government of New Brunswick to
immediately release
any documents that contain this critical environmental information. It is
our opinion
that to do anything less would be to further place the health of citizens in
jeopardy. Please let us know your response, at your earliest convenience, to
this
urgent matter.

Sincerely,

The Association for the Preservation of the Bouctouche Watershed
1545 Route 525 Unit 1 SAINTE-MARIE-DE KENT NB  E4S 2H2