Wilderness in Jeopardy

From: "Graham & Sue Smith" <sage@hfx.eastlink.ca>
To: <sust-mar@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sat, 4 Nov 2000 15:24:50 -0400

I thought you may be interested in the content of a message that I sent
recently to the Premier.

Graham Smith

---

I am already well aware of the approach that was taken in preparing the plan
for the use of Crown lands.  I attended the public meeting in Sackville and
made inputs to the process.

The problem is that the DNR planners have generally ignored the inputs of
many groups which advocated that we keep wild places wild;  there is too
much exploitation in the plan, not enough protection.  The percentage of
Crown land is only about 28% in Nova Scotia, and in the DNR plan only 20% of
this is in the more protected C3 category.  Of that, only one quarter is
designated for wilderness.  This means that only about 1.5% of the province
is protected to any real extent to remain wild.

This is a startlingly low figure.  We know the value of wild spaces in
filtering and cleaning our air and water, not to mention the importance of
wildlife habitat.  This is the legacy of future Nova Scotians.

My request is that these priorities be given their due consideration.  The
DNR plan needs a complete review, with a proper priority assigned to
wilderness protection.

Thank you,
Graham Smith