sustainable framing, anyone?

Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 05:15:50 -0400 (AST)
From: Paul A Falvo <pfalvo@chebucto.ns.ca>
To: Sustainable Maritimes <sust-mar@chebucto.ns.ca>

Recently I went in search of picture framing made from sustainably
harvested wood. No easy task: I was told that virtually every framing shop
uses wood that is purchased without regard to its origin. There is not
just the origin of the wood to consider, but also the assembly of the
mouldings. One shop owner told me that his mouldings were assembled in
China.

An exception to this is Andrew London. Some of you may know Andrew from
the Halifax Farmers' Market. His company is "Oakridge Woodworking." In
response to my original search for sustainably-harvested maple, Andrew
sent me the following response and agreed that I could share it with
sust-mar readers.

For more information, contact Andrew at 852-4673
Andrew London <picframer@hotmail.com>

~paul :)

PS I settled on New Brunswick cherry. The results are beautiful ...
gorgeous frames custom-matted with acid-free paper, non-glare glass.
Costing approximately HALF what i would have paid at a "normal" store.
Drop by my office if you want to see them ...