Woodlot owner award

Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 12:22:56 -0400
From: Anna McCarron <amcarron@istar.ca> (by way of nspirg@is2.dal.ca (NS PIRG))
To: unlisted-recipients:; (no To-header on input)

Happy New Year forests enthusiasts:

Is there anyone you think is worthy of this award?

>The Department of Natural Resources is accepting nominations
> until Jan. 31 for the 2001 Woodlot Owner of the Year Award.
>
>If you know of a knowledgeable woodlot owner who takes care in
> managing their woodlot and considers the future when making
>decisions concerning their land, you know a good candidate for
>the award.
>
> "There are outstanding woodlot owners throughout this province
>and the Woodlot Owner of the Year award is a great way to
> showcase these individuals and their property," said Natural
> Resources Minister Ernest Fage. "We're looking for those people
> who put a little extra thought and care into their woodlot
> activities."
>
> Any resident of Nova Scotia who owns between 20 and 400 hectares-
> -50 to 1000 acres--of woodland and is agreeable to hosting a
>field day on their woodlot is eligible for the award. Nominations
>are evaluated based on the quality of harvesting and other
>activities on the woodlot, practice and maintenance of high
>environmental standards and the woodlot owner's efforts at
>improving the condition, access, and health of their woodland.
>Past winners include Tom and Bill Skinner of South Berwick, Kings
>  Co., Harold Hearn of Princedale, Annapolis Co., George Chisholm
>  of Bear River, Digby Co., Earle Tanner of Hardwood Lands, Hants
> Co. and Maxie MacNeil of Highland Hill, Victoria Co.
>
>Besides the recognition, the winning landowners receive a plaque, signs
>to post on their woodlot and a major prize such as a chain saw.
>
> To nominate a woodlot owner, submit the person's name, address,
> telephone number, woodlot size and location, to any Natural
> Resources office. Nominations can also be sent to Tim Whynot at
>the Department of Natural Resources, P.O. Box 698, Halifax, N.S.,
> B3J 2T9; by fax to 902-424-7735; or e-mail twwhynot@gov.ns.ca .
>
> For more information please phone Mr. Whynot at 902-424-5444.
> Employees of the Department of Natural Resources are not eligible
>for the award.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
The preceding message was posted on Sustainable Maritimes (sust-mar)

A word from our lawyers ...

Don't forget ... COPYRIGHT material, such as newspaper/magazine articles
cannot be posted on sust-mar without the owner's permission. It's against
the law. CROSS-POSTINGS (messages from other lists) are also discouraged.

In either case, why not tell us something about the issue in your own
words? Or ... send a clipping along with the URL where the original can be
found, or directions how to join the list it came from?

Takes a few more minutes, but makes for a more interesting sust-mar ... :)