Is global warming junk science?

From: "Steve d'Apollonia" <stevedap@accesscable.net>
To: "sust-mar" <sust-mar@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 21:31:48 -0300

Hi Paul,  Let me try posting this message again - hopefully better
formatted this time.

Dear Sust-Mar members,

I've always assumed that Global Warming was a scientific fact and that
its detractors were plain naive, mis-informed, or worse.  But I'm not
so sure any longer. Horror of horrors, could Suzuki have gotten it all
wrong?  Competent physicists who know much more about earth climate
models than I do have disputed the prediction of the global warming
crowd. Here is a brief excerpt from a discussion on the issue:

    "Everything since then has been a triumph of spin
    over science, an epicycle hunt, quackery, imposing
    on the scientific ignorance of most greens first and
    and most of the public second, and ends justifies
    means talk internally."

    "Finally, the last refuge of the scaremongers is
    always the argument from ignorance, or "we can't
    be sure, so we better do something anyway,
    because the consequences could be so big if we
    are wrong." This is exactly Pascal's theological
    argument, merely redirected. It doesn't matter what
    the probability is, because the postulated effect is
    so huge. A moment's reflection will show, that if the
    consequences are merely allegations and not facts
    about which anything is known, then this argument
    reduces to the claim that one ought to obey
    whoever says "boo" the loudest. Because anybody
    can allege anything as consequences of not doing
    what he says. And he can change what he alleges
    at will, until it is something you will regard as
    undesireable and large. Acting this way is therefore
    open to every superstition, with the only thing left to
    choose between all the shouting scaremongers,
    being who shouts loudest."   Jason Cawley

To read the complete discussion go to:

http://www.FreeRepublic.com/forum/a3ad729f23c97.htm

(see post 121, in particular)

Regards,

Steve d'Apolonia

The preceding message was posted on Sustainable Maritimes (sust-mar)

TELL A FRIEND! The more people who join sust-mar, the more interesting and
diverse views we'll see ... and more people to read *your* messages.

So ... pssssst! Pass it on ...

To join sust-mar just send email to <majordomo@chebucto.ns.ca>
As the text of your message type "subscribe sust-mar" (without the quotes)