Sewage Consultations

From: "Owen,Rochelle [Dartmouth]" <Rochelle.Owen@EC.GC.CA>
To: "'Nova Scotia Env. Network'" <nsen@web.net>
Cc: 'Sustainable Maritimes listserv' <sust-mar@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2001 09:15:17 -0300

F.Y.I.

Open Letter to All Nova Scotians:

It is my pleasure to send you a copy of Nova Scotia Environment and Labour's
recently released Sewage Management Discussion Paper entitled "We all have a
Part to Play".

Sewage isn't a subject most of us think about, let alone discuss. However,
inadequate sewage treatment can affect  both human health and the
environment.  Each summer, beaches are closed to swimming because of sewage
contamination.  Streams, lakes and coastal waters are threatened by sewage
and depleted dissolved oxygen levels that can adversely affect fish and
other aquatic life.

Shellfish harvesting areas are closed, aquaculture development is
constrained and, most importantly, drinking water can become contaminated,
which can have devastating effects.

In order to effectively deal with this situation, the Department of
Environment and Labour has developed this sewage management discussion paper
for Nova Scotia.  This initiative represents a collaborative effort which
also includes Service Nova Scotia and Municipal Relations and the Union of
Nova Scotia Municipalities.

The discussion paper outlines the current situation regarding sewage
management in the province and explains the basic principles of sewage
treatment.  The document is the first step toward the development of a plan
to address this problem.

The booklet discusses the key areas of on-site disposal systems including
servicing new development, central collection and treatment facilities as
well as raw discharges and financing.  In each of these key areas, pertinent
questions are asked.

The objective of the discussion paper is to encourage input to:

*	define a realistically acceptable path forward for the full
treatment of all raw sewage discharge
*	define a role for the Department of Environment and Labour in the
management of approved on-site sewage disposal systems
*	establish an achievable and province wide uniform approach for the
enforcement of Department of Environment and Labour requirements for poorly
functioning central and on-site systems.

It is my sincere hope that you will take the opportunity to participate in
the upcoming public consultation process.  Departmental staff will be
holding sessions in your area of the province and I would encourage you to
make your views known.

If you cannot attend one of the sessions, there are other avenues available
to share your thoughts with us.  We have set up a toll free number where
your comments and questions can be recorded and responded to
(1-800-946-9303). Our web page is  http://www.gov.ns.ca/enla/ or e-mail  or
fax 424-0503. By mail, write to c/o Aileen Waller-Hebb, P.Eng., Nova Scotia
Environment and Labour, PO Box 697, Halifax, NS, B3J 2T8.

Thank you in advance for your participation and remember.... We all have a
Part to Play.

Yours truly,

David Morse
Minister