Sydney Tar Ponds Victory and Next Steps

From: "Cyndi Gilbert" <cyndigilbert@hotmail.com>
To: <sust-mar@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 18:10:26 -0300

Sydney Tar Ponds Victory and Next Steps
Please Forward

Thank you to everyone who wrote letters and made phone calls to the
provincial and federal governments for the relocation of the people living
near the Sydney Tar Ponds. Allan Rock, Federal Minister of Health announced
Friday May 18th that further testing would be done of soil, as well as hair
and blood samples, and that concurrently with the additional testing
immeidate work would begin on relocation plans if there is a "health risk."

Elizabeth May, Executive Director of Sierra Club of Canada, ended her 17 day
hunger strike on the same day recognizing the significance of Rock for the
first time putting permanent relocation on the federal agenda, and removing
the requirement that there be evidence of "acute" health risks before people
are moved.  The federal government backed up this offer to the province with
a commitment of $7 million.

This is a breakthrough on the campaign to protect public health in Sydney.
Yet the campaign can not end there.

The Sierra Club of Canada will continue to keep up the pressure to ensure:

1) That the province commit to relocation asap.
2) That any hair and blood tests be done by independent, out of province
experts.
3) That NO work start on the coke ovens site until after people are moved.

Following relocation, we will continue to push for a proper clean-up of the
extremely contaminated Muggah Creek watershed which includes the Tar Ponds
(700,000 tons of toxic sludge in an estuary, as well as 125 acres of
extensive, 80 foot deep, contamination throughout the coke ovens site).

We can not do this alone. Now, more than ever, we could use your support on
this important issue. The best way to help the campaign at this moment in
time is to support the Sierra Club of Canada.

Please make your donation to the Sierra Club of Canada or become a member by
calling 1 888 810 4204 or by mailing the following form to: Sierra Club of
Canada, #412 -1Nicholas St., Ottawa, ON, K1N 7B7.

Yes! Please make me a member of the Sierra Club of Canada:

Membership Categories - Please circle:

                        Individual / Joint
Regular                      $40 / $50
Supporting                 $75 / $100
Contributing             $150 / $175
Life                        $1000 / 1500
Youth / Student         $20 / $30
Senior                       $20 / $30
Limited Income          $20 / $30

Please make cheques for membership fees payable to the Sierra Club of
Canada. (Not tax deductible).

Name______________________________________

Address____________________________________

City_______________________________________

Province______________Postal Code___________

Phone number_______________________________

Email______________________________________

Permanent Address (if different from above)

Current Address valid from __________to ________

O I would prefer French material instead of English when possible
O Please do not trade my name with other organizations
O Please do not send me the Sierra Magazine

Would you like to make an additional contribution?

O Yes! I would like to donate $_________ monthly to Sierra Club's Monthly
Giving Plan.
I have enclosed a blank cheque marked "VOID" or debit my credit card (circle
one)
Visa/ Mastercard #__________________________ Expiry Date________________
Signature______________________________________

O Yes! I would like to donate $_________ for Atlantic Canada campaign work.
Payable to Sierra Club of Canada. (Not tax deductable)

O Yes! I would like to donate $__________ for Atlantic Canada research and
education work.
Payable to Sierra Club of Canada Foundation. (Tax receipts issued for $10.00
or more).

_____________________________
Elizabeth May
Executive Director
Sierra Club of Canada
412-1 Nicholas Street
Ottawa, Ontario  K1N 7B7
Tel: (613) 241-4611  Fax: (613) 241-2292

Cyndi Gilbert
Coordinator, Atlantic Canada Chapter
Sierra Club of Canada
1312 Robie Street, Halifax NS  B3H 3E2
Tel: (902)422-5091  Fax: (902)422-9440
www.sierraclub.ca/atlantic

The preceding message was posted on Sustainable Maritimes (sust-mar)

TELL A FRIEND! The more people who join sust-mar, the more interesting and
diverse views we'll see ... and more people to read *your* messages.

So ... pssssst! Pass it on ...

To join sust-mar just send email to <majordomo@chebucto.ns.ca>
As the text of your message type "subscribe sust-mar" (without the quotes)