Fuel Prices - 2 fwded msgs: from Dan MacKay & Kevin Chisholm

Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2001 16:24:50 -0300
To: sust-mar@chebucto.ns.ca
From: Daniel.MacKay@Dal.Ca (Daniel MacKay)

At 09:51 01/6/18, Peter HENRY wrote:
>The recent concern about fuel prices seem entirely misdirected.
>
>Environmentalists should welcome higher prices for oil.

As a representative of Solar Nova Scotia,

        http://chebucto.ns.ca/Technology/SolarNS/

I second that !

--
Daniel MacKay
Secretary, Solar Nova Scotia

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

From:	"Kevin Chisholm" <kchishol@fox.nstn.ca>
To:	<sust-mar@chebucto.ns.ca>
Subject: RE: Fuel Prices

Dear Peter

...del...

> The recent concern about fuel prices seem entirely misdirected.
>
> Environmentalists should welcome higher prices for oil.

I fully agree with your observation. Even with the relatively modest
increases in gasoline prices over the past year, people with gas guzzlers
are seriously thinking about getting rid of them, and getting vehicles with
greater energy economy. A relatively small price increase leads to a
decrease in gasoline consumption. This, of course, is a benefit to the
environment, in terms of less fossil fuel being burned.

High fuel prices are felt directly by the person who is responsible for the
fuel being consumed. This "connectivity" is the best way to encourage
conservation, because the impact of the decision is directly felt by the
Decision Maker.

Gasoline now sells for in the order of $C.75 per litre here in Nova Scotia.
In the US, it is about $C.50 per litre, and in Europe, it is about $C1.50 to
$C2.00 per litre. In the US, "gasoline is too cheap to save." In Europe,
"life goes on with $C1.50 gasoline". What is the real cost of gasoline to
the environment?

Possibly someone who is familiar with the good work of the GPI, Genuine
Progress Index, people could comment.

> I know it is an unpopular stand, but if one were to (say) quadruple the
> cost of gasoline, then  people would be purchasing smaller, lighter cars
> and driving them shorter distrances.

Imagine how the Province could reduce its deficit if it imposed a tax on
gasoline which brought its price to a point which was halfway between what
the GPI says gasoline really costs, and its present price. The immediate
counter arguement is "We can't do that because we would be at a disadvantage
to the rest of the Region." One way to get around this problem, as it
relates to Tourism, is to advise the Tourists that they can get a 100%
rebate on their "Conservation Tax" simply by sending in an Application Form,
the same way that they can get a GST rebate."

 People might even try to buy a house
> close to their place of employment, instead of driving an hour
> down HWY 103
> to go home at night.

Alternatively, perhaps this would encourage Businesses to re-locate to other
parts of our fine Province!!

> We have little diffuculty with sin taxes on alcohol and tobacco. We should
> persuade out elected officials to add a couple of dollars ENVIRO TAX per
> litre to gas.
>
> (BTW, do not try to get elected with ths idea as a plank in your
> platform.)

Such a stand would indeed be unpopular, with the present general mindset.
However, many well meaning Environmentalists are trying to promote
Conservation, and "everyone" agrees that it is "a good thing" until they
have to change their lifestyles and buying patterns to make Conservation
happen. The resistance to gasoline price increases gives a powerful insight
into the lack of willingness to change to a more conserving mode. Perhaps
Premier Hamm could introduce the "Conservation Tax" as a way to fund
increased support of the Health Care System?

Kindest regards,

Kevin Chisholm

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
The preceding message was posted on Sustainable Maritimes (sust-mar)

A word from our lawyers ...

Don't forget ... COPYRIGHT material, such as newspaper/magazine articles
cannot be posted on sust-mar without the owner's permission. It's against
the law. CROSS-POSTINGS (messages from other lists) are also discouraged.

In either case, why not tell us something about the issue in your own
words? Or ... send a clipping along with the URL where the original can be
found, or directions how to join the list it came from?

Takes a few more minutes, but makes for a more interesting sust-mar ... :)