Be the Change - Launch Date... October 3. 2001

From: "Andrew Angus" <aangus@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: <sust-mar@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2001 22:10:31 -0300

Be the Change - Launch Date... October 3. 2001

Once upon a time...

Last April, two Dalhousie Students were noticing that there was new energy
in Halifax.

More and more people were coming to meetings of community groups that we
were involved in at Dalhousie. There were also a lot of exciting things
happening off campus at other community organizations and universities as
well. We thought it would be a good idea to try to keep this momentum going.
The Result: on October 3rd Be the Change will be officially launched at the
People and Planet Fair at Dalhousie Student Union Building.

The purpose of Be the Change is to outreach to people who are not currently
involved in community groups in Halifax and to offer tools to help people
get involved in all the exciting events that happen here in Halifax every
week. We created a webpage with a list of community groups in Halifax with
current contact information and when these groups meet so people can become
involved more easily. Another objective is to offer a place for people to
post events so that we don't find out about exciting events the day after
they happen. (seems to be a common occurrence!) There is now a Be the Change
Community Calendar that anyone can post events on. This calendar is compiled
every Sunday and sent out to the Be the Change listserv, a weekly email
of community events in Halifax. We will be putting up more signs around
Halifax and doing our best to promote this project and hope to see more
and more people taking hold of our world and steering it in new and exciting
directions.

What to post an event? see a list of community groups? download a Be the
Change poster? Learn more about the listserv?

www.geocities.com/bethechangehalifax

Want to receive a weekly email of events in Halifax?

bethechange-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

Want to add a new group to the webpage or find out more about Be the Change?

Either join us on Wednesday October 3rd at the People and Planet Fair or
email Andrew at jaangus@is2.dal.ca

Want to help promote Be the Change?
We would love it if you downloaded one of the Be the Change posters at
http://www.geocities.com/bethechangehalifax/promo.htm

Thank you for taking the time to learn about Be the Change!
Craig and Andrew

The preceding message was posted on Sustainable Maritimes (sust-mar)

DOES SUST-MAR KNOW? Not unless you tell us ...

To submit a message about the environment/sustainability in the Maritimes,
just send it to <sust-mar@chebucto.ns.ca>

Messages are prioritised and queued, so please be patient if your message
doesn't appear right away.