Time for Peace Now: A different point of view

From: "Doyle, Tim" <Tim.Doyle@freedom55financial.com>
To: "'jslakov@TartanNET.ns.ca'" <jslakov@TartanNET.ns.ca>, sust-mar@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2001 12:32:12 -0400

Dear Jan and sust-mar:
Unfortunately we are at a point in time as a nation that perhaps we always
knew may come but hoped would never appear.  Like everyone else in the
civilized world, war scares me.  We should always look for other
alternatives to war including sanctions, trade embargoes, or whatever
although even these measures don't often work.  I have come to deeply
respect your work in this field Jan; I'm one of the nationalistic Canadians
who proudly grew up watching our respected armed forces keep peace
throughout many troubled areas of the world.  However, we have a problem now
and it's not confined to the USA.  We have extremists who hate the western
world and our way of life and want to take away our peace and freedom.
	If we recount the past few years we can see a number of events that
led up to this past Black Tuesday...the invasion of Kuwait, Persian Gulf
War, continued presence of US troops in the region and attacks on Iraq,
World Trade Center bombing of 1993, Bombing of embassies and Marine
barracks, Bombing of the USS Cole, bombing of Afghanistan and Sudan,
destruction of the World Trade Center and Pentagon on Tuesday.  The real
problem here is that no one is stepping forward to claim responsibility for
attacks against the USA so therefore there is no known enemy, only
speculation.  Mistakes have been made in the past with the bombing of the
Sudan and other areas, where wrong targets were hit and innocent people
died.  On Tuesday, it was the terrorists intent to kill innocent people, and
they did successfully.  I don't condone either action by either side.
	But on Tuesday, the world changed...forever.  Like many others, I
pieced together the past few years and tried to make sense or find
justification for the events of the day.  All the while, I was checking in
with family members and trying to get home in one piece as I was unsure if
North America was being invaded.  At the end of the day, most people agreed
it could have been worse.  It could have been chemical or bioligical
weapons, it could have been a nuclear bomb, nerve gas, Anthrax, whatever.
Then as you watch the past ten years unfold you start to realize that each
time the terrorists have attacked, the damage has increased by about double
over what the last attack contained.  So therefore, many people who
previously felt sheltered from this type of damage are feeling vulnerable to
the next super sized attack that appears to be in store for North America.
Will it be a suit case nuke?  Will it be a vial of nerve gas or anthrax
thrown into a street or source of drinking water?  Who knows.  We do know
that this doesn't just end whether the USA attacks back or not.  The hatred
for the west has grown too much and there will be other targets because
these madmen will see the success of the damage they inflicted here.
	So while I would like to see a peaceful solution here, I don't.  If
we don't take appropriated measures we will end up living in fear forever
that another attack will occur and it will.  As Canadians we rarely take up
the gun to do battle but when we do it is for a just reason.  Now is the
time to stand by our neighbour and watch their back as they have done for
the world many times.  We must pinpoint these terrorist cells and eliminate
them.  If countries who harbour these nutcases stand in our way then they
must be considered as supporting terrorism and dealt with accordingly.  The
world shouldn't have to live in fear anymore from these people.  This is a
chance for a new world order to exist where the powerful nations can work
together to protect the weaker peoples of the world who can't help
themselves.  This can be a fulfillment of a dream by many Canadians where
the UN will actually have teeth in the future and truly represent a better
life for all instead of serving as a source for distributing some food.
Whether we like it or not, we are globalized and that will never change.
	Therefore, while I do understand your point of view Jan and those
like you, I have to go against the tide here and support force.  Not now or
ever do I want to see my family and friends endangered because of madmen so
we must eliminate them now before it gets worse. I do want to encourage
everyone to tell their government how you feel, whether it is for or against
action.  Thanks to sust-mar for letting people air their point of view on
this subject.
Sincerely,
Tim Doyle
(most often known from T2000 Atlantic)