BOUNCE sust-mar@chebucto.ns.ca: Approval required:

Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2001 21:30:17 -0300
From: sust-mar-owner@chebucto.ns.ca
To: sust-mar-owner@chebucto.ns.ca

>From sust-mar-owner@chebucto.ns.ca Thu Oct  4 21:29:31 2001
From:	"Steve d'Apollonia" <stevedap@accesscable.net>
To:	<sust-mar@chebucto.ns.ca>
Subject: Re: Time for Peace Now: A different point of view
Date:	Thu, 4 Oct 2001 21:29:36 -0300

Dear Tim and Sust-Mar

In your letter to Jan that was posted on Sust-Mar you say "We have
extremists who hate the western world and our way of life and want to take
away our peace and freedom."

Do you honestly believe that the purpetrators of the horrific events on 9/11
did it because of the reasons you state?

Before you start urging Canadians to join the American crusade "Infinite
Justice", like some kind of Independance Day movie in reverse, I suggest you
dig a little deeper and reflect on what it must take to bring fellow human
beings to carry out such atrocities in the first place.

The following commentary might be a good place to start.

Cheers,
Steve d'Apollonia

The algebra of infinite justice
Arundhati Roy

In the aftermath of the unconscionable September 11 suicide attacks on the
Pentagon and the World Trade Centre, an American newscaster said: "Good and
evil rarely manifest themselves as clearly as they did last Tuesday. People
who we don't know massacred people who we do. And they did so with
contemptuous glee." Then he broke down and wept.

Here's the rub: America is at war against people it doesn't know, because
they don't appear much on TV. Before it has properly identified or even
begun to comprehend the nature of its enemy, the US government has, in a
rush of publicity and embarrassing rhetoric, cobbled together an
"international coalition against terror", mobilised its army, its air force,
its navy and its media, and committed them to battle.

The trouble is that once Amer ica goes off to war, it can't very well return
without having fought one. If it doesn't find its enemy, for the sake of the
enraged folks back home, it will have to manufacture one. Once war begins,
it will develop a momentum, a logic and a justification of its own, and
we'll lose sight of why it's being fought in the first place.

[. . .]

[Paul's note: I had to omit the rest of this long article, for length and
copyright reasons. Contact Steve directly for the full text, or search the
web.]