PUBLIC MEETING: Earth Summit 2002

From: "Andrew Angus" <aangus@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: <sust-mar@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2001 10:45:21 -0400

PUBLIC MEETING: Earth Summit 2002 - Getting prepared for the Earth Summit
and the CDN government consultations in Halifax.
Date: Tuesday November 7 at 7:00
Location: Dalhousie University, Life Science Centre, Room 236.
This meeting is being held by a collection of people interested in the Earth
Summit.
In September 2002 in Johannesburg South Africa Earth Summit III will be
occurring to review and move forward on our commitment to Agenda 21 and the
sustainable development. There are currently cross Canada consultations
happening in all provincial and territorial capitals. On November 27 the
Canadian Earth Summit Secretariat will be in Halifax to hold a round of
consultations.

It would be great to get a tonne of people to come out to these
consultations and offer their views on what Canada is doing or not doing to
promote 'sustainable development' in Canada.

This public meeting is being held to share ideas about the consultations and
how to get involved. The agenda will be something like this

7:00 Opening remarks and go around to introduce each other.

7:15 Short presentation on the Earth Summit and how the Canadian government
consultations fit into the regional and global preparations. What are the
Canadian Government themes for the Earth Summit.

7:25 Reports from previous consultations that have occurred in other cities.
(Ottawa, Victoria and others)

7:35 How to get involved in the Halifax consultation.

7:40 Open for questions and discussion about how we can be most effective in
the consultations here in Halifax

Please come to this meeting to add your opinion to this discussion and learn
from others in attendance. It would also be great to see many many people at
the Halifax consultation and to widen the debate at these meetings. To
attend the CDN government consultations you have to register. This has to be
done very soon... I have been trying to get a date but have not been able to
in time to send this out... I would suggest that it would be a good idea to
start the registration process by Wednesday October 31st.

To register for the CDN government secretariat consultations:

Please email Malika.Molire@ec.gc.ca or call 819 956 5906 and ask to be
invited to the Roundtable... this is by invitation only
If by any chance, anyone has any trouble 'getting invited' please tell us by
emailing jaangus@is2.dal.ca.
After you ask to be invited they will send you more information.

If you are interested in learning more about the Earth Summit 2002 and this
meeting you can contact me as well. If you would like to speak about any of
the items on the agenda or help in orgainizing this meeting that would be
great as well.

Andrew Angus jaangus@is2.dal.ca or 429-7424

For more info:

The Canadian Secretariat Website is http://www.canada2002earthsummit.gc.ca

When was that meeting again? Check out the Halifax Community Calendar at
www.bethechange.ca