climate change impacts and adaptation workshop

From: "Kyle McKenzie \(C-CIARN Atlantic\)" <Kyle.McKenzie@Dal.Ca>
To: <sust-mar@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2002 12:18:30 -0400

	Are you concerned about how climate change may impact the Atlantic
Provinces? Should we be planning strategies now to adapt to these changes?
The Canadian Climate Impacts and Adaptation Research Network will be hosting
a free two day workshop on this topic on February 7 and 8 in Halifax and I
encourage you to attend.
	Unlike many other recent climate change workshops, this one will not debate
the causes of climate changes or what we can do to prevent it, but instead
focus on the potential impacts on Atlantic Canada and how we can possibly
adapt to these impacts. Atlantic Canada may be particularly hard hit by
rising sea level, extreme weather events, and coastal erosion as a result of
climate change. Freshwater resources may become scarcer and agriculture may
experience drought. Exotic pests may bring new diseases. Because resource
based economies are likely to be harder hit than industrial economies, the
Atlantic Provinces may suffer proportionately more economic hardship than
central Canada.
	This two-day workshop will bring together researchers, policy makers, and
stakeholders from throughout the Atlantic Region to discuss the potential
impacts of climate change on Atlantic Canada and explore adaptation
strategies. Researchers will present overview presentations on the science
and modelling aspects of climate change, as well as how particular sectors
may be impacted. A panel of stakeholders will present their views on how
they see climate change impacting their areas of responsibility. Sectorally
based small group discussions will attempt to identify important areas and
gaps in our current knowledge in order to chart a course for future work.
	More information is available on the web at
http://www.dal.ca/~cciarn/happenings/workshop/index.html. If you intend to
attend, please fill
out the on line form by February 1 in order to avoid the registration fee.
Travel and accommodation assistance will be available to those who require
it. Feel free to contact me with any questions you may have.

Kyle McKenzie, Atlantic Regional Coordinator
Canadian Climate Impacts and Adaptation Research Network
1312 Robie Street, Halifax, N.S., B3H 3J5
902-494-6355 (t), 902-494-3728 (f)
http://atlantic.c-ciarn.ca

The preceding message was posted on Sustainable Maritimes (sust-mar)

Looking for an old message? You'll find it in the sust-mar ARCHIVES ...
http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/lists/sust-mar