Stone Soup Festival -- Volunteers Urgently Needed

From: "Gail Martin" <gail@hatchcom.com>
To: <sust-mar@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sat, 27 Jul 2002 08:25:22 -0300

Hi everyone!

Preparations are underway for our first "Stone Soup Festival" being held in
Moser River next weekend, August 3-5 in support of sustainable economic
development projects in the Bay of Islands region (Sheet Harbour to
Sherbrooke). This area of 20+ communities is historically one of the most
depressed areas of the province but also one of great natural beauty and
good-hearted people.

Our mission is to build on the ecotourism/nature tourism  potential of the
area through trails development and providing the infrastructure for outdoor
recreation such as kayaking/canoeing, back country trail rides, sustainable
forestry management and renewable energy.

We really need your help to make this all happen.

Volunteers are urgently needed today and throughout the week for building
outdoor staging and display areas, signage, preparation and organization at
the "Stone Soup Cafe", requests for corporate donations of items for our
Country Auction, marketing/advertising and general spreading the word.

Volunteers are also needed during the festival which runs 11:00 a.m. to
12:00 midnight on Saturday August 3rd and 12:00 to 6:00 Sunday, August 4th,
and Civic Holiday Monday, August 5th.

If you can help during the week, accommodations and food can be made
available and of course we have acres of camping space (field, woodland,
coastal) now and during the festival itself.

The Stone Soup Festival is a good opportunity for your organization to set
up a display and/or sell goods and services as we expect a good crowd from
along the Eastern Shore from Halifax to Antigonish and Canso and from
visitors to Nova Scotia who travel along our coast. Many naturalists,
birders, backpackers, cyclists, kayakers, motorcycle touring groups, etc.
travel along Highway #7. We are located about 1/2 way between
Halifax/Dartmouth and Antigonish, about 1.5 hours each way.

If you can pitch in with a hammer or paintbrush, a few hours, a day or two
or the whole event, you will help insure the continuation of the festival
next year.

If you can play an instrument, sing, dance, drum, busk etc, or if you know
of others who do, we invite you to join  us in making "Stone Soup 2002"
succeed. Membership support and cash contributions are also most welcome.
Please pass this on to everyone you can think of.

We are hopeful  that the "Stone Soup Festival" will  grow bigger each year
and become the major fund-raising event for the Bay of Islands SED Centre
for many years to come.

More information is available on the festival website at:
http://bay-of-islands.org/festival

Please email: festival@bay-of-islands.org or call (902) 347-2602 (shared by
computer, message manager, fax, etc. Please leave a message. We can usually
call you right back). Fastest way to contact us is by email.

Warmest regards and thanks in advance.

Gail Martin, Jurgen Teuwen
Bay of Islands SED Centre