Pesticides in PEI and Maritime Rivers

Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2002 19:54:15 -0300
To: "'Sustainable-Maritimes'" <sust-mar@chebucto.ns.ca>
From: Sharon Labchuk <slabchuk@isn.net>

At 06:00 PM 25/08/2002 -0300, Robert Stevens wrote:

>Since the rivers in question derive from ground water and ground water provides the island's drinking water, I wouldn't drink the water either.
>Bob Stevens
>
>Helen Jones wrote:
>
>> Planning to swim in PEI near any of its river outlets?
>>
>> I wouldn't.
>>
>> The following pesticides were found in PEI rivers in 1999 and/or 2000:
>
>[. . .]

The pesticides detected in PEI rivers came mainly from run-off from potato fields.  There has been some testing done that indicates pesticides are also getting into the streams via the groundwater.  There hasn't been enough testing in this area but you don't have to be a genius to figure out it is inevitable.

We do use massive quantities of known groundwater polluting pesticides on PEI potato fields.  The Island's fractured bedrock is covered in sandy soil, making the groundwater extremely susceptible to contamination.  Admire - a potato insecticide manufactured by Bayer - is used on virtually every potato field now.  The label for Admire states it has the characteristics of chemicals found in groundwater, and that the use of Admire where soils are permeable and the water table shallow may result in groundwater contamination.

Admire is an example of one of these new low-dose high-toxicity chemicals that government and the ag industry are complaining the Americans have access to but we don't.  The PEI Minister of Agriculture, Mitch Murphy, is continually whining about this, and says that if PEI growers had access to more of these 'new generation' chemicals, we'd all be better off.  Heard that one before?

Nitrate pollution in PEI wells is a huge problem.

Drink PEI water at your own risk.

Sharon Labchuk
=================
Subscribe to Earth Action's Weekly Bulletin (it's free). Send an email to <majordomo@flora.org> with the following command in the body of your email message:
 subscribe earth-action

************
'Something in the Air' - a new National Film Board of Canada documentary by PEI filmaker Sylvie Dauphinais.  Filmed on Prince Edward Island. Agricultural pesticide spray drift, children and the air they breathe. Available in French or English. In Canada call: 1-800-267-7710.  In USA call: 1-800-542-2164.

http://cmm.onf.ca/E/titleinfo/index.epl?id=50655

*****************
Sharon Labchuk
Earth Action
81 Prince Street, Charlottetown, PEI
Canada C1A 4R3
phone 902-621-0719
slabchuk@isn.net
===============

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
SUST-MAR TIP: copyright material cannot be posted to the list

CBC enviro news-briefs follow:
-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

CHRé TIEN SAYS WESTERN WORLD 'ARROGANT ... GREEDY'
Prime Minister Jean Chré tien told CBC-TV in an interview Tuesday night
that the United States must accept some responsibility for the terror
attacks of last September.
FULL STORY:
http://cbc.ca/stories/2002/09/12/chretien_jumbo020912ANTI-TERRORISM LAWS

SURFACE IN FISH PLANTS
     Seafood processors in Nova Scotia are worried about new U.S. rules on
food imports.
FULL STORY
http://novascotia.cbc.ca/template/servlet/View?filename=ns_fish020912

HARBOUR AND HIGHWAY MONEY SLIM FROM OTTAWA
   The Hamm government is asking Ottawa for almost 400-million dollars. The
money, which would come from the federal government's infrastructure fund,
will pay for highway twinning and the clean up of Halifax harbour.
FULL STORY
http://novascotia.cbc.ca/template/servlet/View?filename=ns_harbour020912

© Canadian Broadcasting Corporation