David Suzuki - Update

From: "Andrew Angus" <jaangus@is2.dal.ca>
To: <sust-mar@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2002 08:30:25 -0300

Many people have asked...

The David Suzuki talk is free, and open to the public. There is no
pre-registration or tickets for this event and so the first 300 people will
be able to attend the talk. The doors to the Great Hall at the University
Club on the Dalhousie campus open at 9:30 am. The lecture will begin at 10
am and will end sometime before noon.

More info on the talk, book and television series...

Dr. Suzuki is on a tour of Canadian cities promoting his book, The Sacred
Balance, as well as his television show by the same name. In this new show
Dr. Suzuki argues that we have been trapped in a set of dangerous false
premises that isolate us from the rest of life on Earth, and limit our
ability to understand where we belong. Somehow, we have come to think that
we humans are separate from nature, that reason is the only route to truth,
that experimental science alone describes reality, and that spirituality is
optional.

The Sacred Balance sets out to re-examine these embedded ideas, in the
belief that once we reclaim our ancient understanding of the intimate,
indissoluble connection between ourselves and our planet, we will change the
way we act towards it. These ideas are far from an exercise in nostalgia:
the latest discoveries of experimental science confirm at many different
levels the interconnectedness of all life. What we do to the Earth we do to
ourselves.

Like air and water, fire and earth, we need spiritual connection; we need to
understand where we belong. In search of this first-hand information and a
global, universal perspective, the series uses these elements as a framework
while travelling across Canada and the United States, and to Brazil, India,
Peru, South Africa, England, Bali and Australia.

The first episode will air on Sunday October 13; Episode 2 on Monday October
14; Episode 3 on Sunday October 20 and Episode 4 on Monday October 21. All
episodes air at 9 pm.

The talk will focus on ideas from both the book and the television series
and trace David’s career as a geneticist and environmentalist.

Finally if you would like to receive an email every Sunday of events such as
this one please consider joining the Be the Change list serve. Every Sunday
we compile the events on the Maritimes People and Planet Calendar and send
it out to the People and Planet List serve for your reading enjoyment. If
you would like to post an event or see other events going on please visit
http://www.bethechange.ca and click on the link to the People and Planet
Calendar.

If you would like to learn more about the list serve or to join the list
please visit:

I hope that this will help to answer people’s questions about the event. If
you have any more questions please email info@bethechange.ca; or call
420-1765.

thanks

andrew angus

Be the Change Movie Night at the Oxford - October 4th at midnight.
The movie is Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon

Learn about what is happening in the Maritimes this week.

http://www.bethechange.ca