Renewed Support for Commuter Rail in HRM Needed

From: "Doyle, Tim" <Tim.Doyle@freedom55financial.com>
To: "'Sust-Mar'" <sust-mar@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2002 10:46:59 -0400

Hi Paul, hopefully you can post this...

Dear Sust-Mar:

With the official signing of contracts for Harbour Cleanup in Halifax
completed yesterday, we at Transport 2000 Atlantic are left wondering why
there is such a long delay to the official start of dealing with the traffic
problems in HRM (estimated start date 2004).

The federal government has recently announced plans to ratify the Kyoto
Accord and reduce greenhouse gas emissions, of which we are told that
roughly 30% comes from personal vehicles.  The province of Nova Scotia has
done nothing to change their attitude toward Kyoto and the HRM has
continuously delayed dealing with this problem (Remember: Peter Kelly was
elected on a commuter rail platform!).

Transport 2000 Atlantic has always held true that sustainable transportation
initiatives will do much to improve the environment and the quality of life
in our communities through reduced emissions, less accidents, improved
health conditions, less spending on roads from wear and tear.  The Halifax
Herald has recently devoted much time to talking about our traffic problems
in metro.  Please take some time to read these ideas and respond to them
with a common sense approach to both the media and to city councillors who
insist we look at road expansion as a viable option to dealing with
gridlock.

At this time, we would like to see a renewed commitment toward commuter rail
and a timeline to establish a commuter rail network as we believe that this
service will help reduce incidences of gridlock and help reduce emissions
substantially.  Most of our gridlock is as a result of commuters who travel
from areas just outside the City core.  City council built a parking garage
last year for $10 million dollars, they found the money to build that garage
and encourage commuting via car, we believe they can find the money to start
a commuter rail system to help support Kyoto.  The federal government has
more than indicated they will help partially fund such programs, please
encourage your local governments to think in a different context and support
the commuter rail concept.  Thanks in advance!

D. Tim Doyle
Board Member
T2000 Atlantic

SUST-MAR TIP: messages to sust-mar must be plain text format (no HTML)